Tags: batteries, circuit, connecting
Share this thread:
B4ssHunter
Oct6-13, 07:48 AM
P: 178
what happens when we connect two batteries together in a circuit
on of them is higher than the other
say one of them is 10 and the other is 5
if they are connected such that positives meet , as far as i know a current will flow out of the negative * even though it should flow out of the positive ( conventional current direction )* of the weaker battery with voltage = 5 volt
what if they were connected postivie to negative ?
also , why is the voltage at power sources such as power companies 240 volts while it becomes 220 volts when it reaches homes ? * at my country thats the case *
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
mfb
Oct6-13, 12:20 PM
Mentor
P: 11,589
Can you draw a sketch of the circuits?

Connecting different batteries is not a good idea. If you connect them in parallel (independent of the polarities), you get a short circuit, with bad consequences for the batteries (or even the environment, some batteries can explode).

also , why is the voltage at power sources such as power companies 240 volts while it becomes 220 volts when it reaches homes ? * at my country thats the case *
Electric power gets transformed to higher voltages for transmission, this reduces current and therefore losses in the cables. Close to the consumers, it is transformed back to lower voltages - the value there is independent of the value somewhere at power plants.

Register to reply