Coal Dust Contamination: Environmental Concerns and Impact on Waterways

In summary, there is a debate about the transportation of coal in open top hopper cars due to concerns about coal dust and heavy metals entering waterways. The environmental groups argue that this could have negative effects on the food chain. The process by which heavy metals are leached from coal and become mobile is not fully understood, but it is known that exposure to oxygen, UV, and microorganisms can cause oxidation. It is also important to consider the amount of coal lost during transportation and the percentage of heavy metals in coal compared to what is already in the environment.
Argentum Vulpes
First I'm hoping this is in the right section.

There is a big debate in the high plains of the Rockies and the Pacific Northwest about coal being transported by rail in open top hopper cars. The debate seems to center on coal dust and bits of coal making its way into the water ways. As far as I can find the reason that the environmental groups says that this is a bad thing is that the coal will then cause elevated levels of heavy metals in the water ways, and these metals will enter into the food chain.

My question I was hoping that could be cleared up is what is the process that causes a bound heavy metal in a stable matrix to be leached or made mobile in some form that it can enter the food chain. I'm drawing a complete blank.

The cynical part of my brain just believes that this is an end run around to get coal plants to shut down. Hit the fuel, kill the plant. However that is a part of this thread that doesn't really need to be discussed here, maybe over in current events.

Biology news on Phys.org
The basic questions to ask would be how much coal is lost from the open car transportation, what percentage of heavy metals is in coal, and if leached out is that amount significant compared to what is already in the environment.

256bits said:
The basic questions to ask would be how much coal is lost from the open car transportation, what percentage of heavy metals is in coal, and if leached out is that amount significant compared to what is already in the environment.

Good point, however I'd still like to know the process that leaches the metals out of a stable matrix. I know that combustion or strong acids can do that, but environmental process that can do this would be nice to know about.

Argentum Vulpes said:
... a stable matrix...

Pause, and think --- a mixture of carbon compounds, finely divided (dust), plus exposure to oxygen, UV, and who knows how many microorganisms that have evolved to metabolize just about any substance containing reduced carbon. Bottom line --- coal is not "stable" --- not highly reactive at ambient conditions, but it will oxidize slowly, and if well insulated, can start wars ("Remember the Maine!").

Bystander said:
Pause, and think --- a mixture of carbon compounds, finely divided (dust), plus exposure to oxygen, UV, and who knows how many microorganisms that have evolved to metabolize just about any substance containing reduced carbon. Bottom line --- coal is not "stable" --- not highly reactive at ambient conditions, but it will oxidize slowly, and if well insulated, can start wars ("Remember the Maine!").

Ok didn't think about that, and yes now that you mention it I do "Remember the Maine!" from history class. I guess I didn't state too clearly by what I meant by stable, I was thinking more about the oxides of the heavy metals. Granted chemistry was one of my weaker subjects, I was under the understanding that the heavy metals in coal were all oxides. The energy needed to liberate those oxides are greater then the energies that can be found in river beds, or lying on the ground.

1. What is coal dust contamination?

Coal dust contamination refers to the presence of fine particles of coal that can become airborne and settle on surfaces, including bodies of water. This contamination can occur during coal mining, transportation, and storage, and can have negative impacts on the environment and human health.

2. How does coal dust contamination affect waterways?

Coal dust contamination can have a significant impact on waterways by polluting the water and disrupting the aquatic ecosystem. When coal dust settles on the surface of the water, it can prevent sunlight from reaching plants and organisms, leading to a decrease in photosynthesis. This can disrupt the food chain and harm aquatic life.

3. What are the environmental concerns associated with coal dust contamination?

Some of the main environmental concerns associated with coal dust contamination include air pollution, water pollution, and the destruction of natural habitats. Coal dust particles can also contain toxic substances such as heavy metals, which can have harmful effects on the environment and human health.

4. How does coal dust contamination impact human health?

Coal dust contamination can negatively impact human health in several ways. The inhalation of coal dust particles can lead to respiratory issues, such as bronchitis, asthma, and lung cancer. Additionally, the consumption of contaminated water can cause gastrointestinal problems and other health issues.

5. What measures can be taken to prevent coal dust contamination?

To prevent coal dust contamination, measures such as proper dust control and management techniques can be implemented during coal mining, transportation, and storage. These can include using water sprays, enclosed conveyor systems, and covering coal piles. Strict regulations and monitoring can also help reduce the amount of coal dust released into the environment.