Civil Engineering is the easiest Engineering discipline?

In summary: I like to look at it simply like this: Anyone could build a functional timber table based on other tables they've seen before, estimating appropriate sizes based on the assumed design usage. The only way to then ensure the table is safe is to test it (maybe a table full of drunk weightlifters dancing on it?).
Justcard
Civil Engineering is the easiest Engineering discipline??

I always hear people say this and i actually slightly believe on it, I think Civil Engineering is easier because everything on it can be seen physically like bridges, dams, highways, i mean compared to electricity you need a higher level of intellect to understand how electricity works... don't get me wrong I am not underestimating civil engineering dudes. :D by the way i`m taking an Electronics Engineering degree, :D

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it safe to assume difficulty is based on discipline alone? Surely some disciplines are easy for some, others for others.

Justcard said:
I always hear people say this and i actually slightly believe on it, I think Civil Engineering is easier because everything on it can be seen physically like bridges, dams, highways,

Hm... I don't have any problem physically seeing stuff like wires, plugs and sockets, electronic components, etc ... so what's the big deal about EE being hard? :devil:

AlephZero said:
Hm... I don't have any problem physically seeing stuff like wires, plugs and sockets, electronic components, etc ... so what's the big deal about EE being hard? :devil:
If you want difficulty, perhaps Chemical Engineering would be the way to go. The reactions can be complex. You can't see them, and have to test to see if they progressed as expected.

Being slightly more serious, you can't see most of what's going on in civil engineering either. I've never seen a stress tensor, or a modal participation factor,, or the proportion of fatigue life that has been consumed. Actually, I've never even seen a force (except when it breaks something, but that's no different from saying you can see an electric current when it blows a fuse).

Maybe the OP is confusing civil engineering with architecture. Architects are the people who DO just draw pretty looking concepts, and then leave it to civil engineers to stop them falling down!

Yes, I`m totally wrong every engineering discipline is unique they have their own easy and hard part. :D

Civil engineering just seems easier because professionals make it look easy. Anyone can make a structure that just stands there, but it takes real skill to design something to be functional, safe, cost-effective, and that will last.

timthereaper said:
Civil engineering just seems easier because professionals make it look easy. Anyone can make a structure that just stands there, but it takes real skill to design something to be functional, safe, cost-effective, and that will last.

I like to look at it simply like this: Anyone could build a functional timber table based on other tables they've seen before, estimating appropriate sizes based on the assumed design usage. The only way to then ensure the table is safe is to test it (maybe a table full of drunk weightlifters dancing on it?).

A good engineer could design that table efficiently and prove it works safely before even procuring any material.

I am a Civil Engineer with a structural background.

I don't think any engineering discipline is easy.

However (perhaps because of my years of experience in the field and lack of experience in the others), I think it is the easiest of the major engineering disciplines (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Chemical). I mean like most of the time, F_net = 0.

Average salaries reflect this.

And even this forum has sub-forums dedicated to electrical, mechanical, chemical, and nuclear engineering, but none to Civil. We just fall into the "General" category.

Sometimes we just get no respect. :frown:

Isn't civil engineering dubbed as 'mother of engineering'?

What is Civil Engineering?

Civil Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water supply systems.

Is Civil Engineering the easiest engineering discipline?

This is a subjective question and the answer may vary from person to person. Some may find Civil Engineering easier because it deals with tangible and visible structures, while others may find it challenging due to the complexity of designing and constructing large-scale projects.

What skills are required to excel in Civil Engineering?

Civil Engineering requires a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Communication, teamwork, and time management are also important skills for success in this field.

What job opportunities are available in Civil Engineering?

Civil Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including construction, transportation, water resources, and environmental engineering. They can also work for government agencies or in the private sector.

What are the future prospects for Civil Engineering?

The demand for Civil Engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as infrastructure continues to age and new projects are developed. Additionally, advancements in technology and sustainability will create opportunities for Civil Engineers to innovate and improve the built environment.