Register to reply

Neutral axis-Biaxial bending

by mohamadh95
Tags: axisbiaxial, bending, neutral
Share this thread:
mohamadh95
Apr4-14, 06:13 AM
P: 38
How can the neutral axis of a concrete column under biaxial bending be determined. I mean if the load P is given along with the eccentricities ex and ey, how could the N.A. location and orientation be computed?
Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
paisiello2
Apr4-14, 11:27 AM
P: 558
Since concrete and steel are both non-linear materials the only accurate way to do it is numerically using trial and error.
mohamadh95
Apr4-14, 11:49 AM
Well I'm willing to make a program using Mathematica or a spreadsheet in excel in order to create the interaction curve of a column,so trial and error is no problem. Can you explain how shall I do it? Should I assume an initial N.A and then do the computations, and after that check if the computation check with the N.A assumed position?

paisiello2
Apr4-14, 01:15 PM
P: 558
Neutral axis-Biaxial bending

That's pretty much it. Generally you have the vertical value of c and the rotation angle θ to locate it.

Now if you are doing an interaction curve that is a little different because now you are finding capacities which I think will turn out to be a little easier to do. A good reference is Collins & Mitchell's "Prestressed Concrete Structures".
mohamadh95
Apr4-14, 02:36 PM
Thank you for your help.

Register to reply