Guess the century of this sonnet

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary: Andre, you are up!In summary, the poem "Tutto quest'anno ch'è, mi son frustato" is a pre-1300 work written by the Italian poet Cecco Angiolieri. It reflects on the poet's struggle to repress his vices, particularly his love for drinking, and his preference for Greek wine over local wine. The poet also mentions his lady, who can sometimes be a source of annoyance, but ultimately credits the discovery of wine as a noble invention that brings him cheer and peace.

What century was this sonnet written?

• 1400s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1500s

• 1700s

• 1800s

• 1900 to present

• Total voters
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
TUTTO QUEST'ANNO CH'È,
MI SON FRUSTATO ...

Tutto quest'anno ch'è, mi son frustato
di tutti i vizi che solìa avere;
non m'è rimasto se non quel di bere,
del qual me n'abbi Iddio per escusato,
ché la mattina, quando son levato,
el corpo pien di sal mi par avere;
adunque, di': chi si porìa tenere
di non bagnarsi la lingua e 'l palato?
E non vorrìa se non greco e vernaccia,
ché mi fa maggior noia il vin latino,
che la mia donna, quand'ella mi caccia.
Deh ben abbi chi prima pose 'l vino,
che tutto 'l dì mi fa star in bonaccia;
i' non ne fo però un mal latino.

[I can't reveal the poet's name because that would give it away. Try to guess the period without googling!]

Here is an approximate translation:

FOR THIS WHOLE YEAR
I'VE MANAGED TO REPRESS ...

For this whole year I've managed to repress
all my accustomed vices, none remain
except for drink. And if I don't abstain
God will excuse what's simply not my fault,
since at whatever hour I rise and dress
my body feels as if it's packed with salt.
In such a case, I ask, who could resist
wetting tongue and palate - so what's wrong?
But on a good Greek import I insist
because the local wine annoys me - more
than when my lady drives me from her door.
He did a noble thing who first made wine
(which keeps me feeling cheerful all day long!)
That's one, at least, whom I shall not malign.

Physics news on Phys.org
The poem was written in Carenna (a small village in Friuli) the 14. of July, 1371, probably between 4PM and 8PM.

arildno said:
The poem was written in Carenna (a small village in Friuli) the 14. of July, 1371, probably between 4PM and 8PM.

that is not a bad guess, arildno---so good you must be serious about it (all evidence to contrary)
please enter it on the poll----just click on the "1300s" button and then on "vote"

anyone who has already guessed and wants to check some of these old voices out can look at brindin.com, kind of treasurehouse of 9 centuries of European poetry, a fair amount of which strikes me as funny whether or not intended

http://www.brindin.com/

Since I don't know a word Italian, I cannot judge when the original text ought to have been written. However:
I am reasonably certain the poem belongs to the medieval times, and Petrarca and Dante are just about the only Italian poets I know about from about that time (shows how uncultured I am). A lady features in the poem, and both these poets dedicated some collection of their poems to a lady (now that I think of it, if it is Dante, then it ought to have been written in the 1200s rather than the 1300s).

There is yet another possibility with that lady, that this is some sort of troubadour poem; in that case, a date prior to the 1300s is perhaps likelier..

If I were to guess at a poet, I'd say Petrarca.

arildno said:
Since I don't know a word Italian, I cannot judge when the original text ought to have been written. However:
I am reasonably certain the poem belongs to the medieval times,...

since your first languange is more kin to German than Italian, I have made another poll this time with voices in your language group

You and selfAdjoint both have good detective skill, and good ears for the old voices. I wish some others would try----if only to guess which of the two of you is right!

Cecco Angiolieri was the poet who lived from 1260 to 1312. That narrows it down.

And after his wild youth he married and settled down and had many children and by 1300 was a pillar of the Siennese community So that certainly does narrow it down. Good!:smile:

marcus said:
And after his wild youth he married and settled down and had many children and by 1300 was a pillar of the Siennese community So that certainly does narrow it down. Good!:smile:
The poem may have been written as a piece of nostalgic reminiscence for himself...:frown:

Well, I just found this thread and since Arildno actually knew the exact time the poem was written, I was inclined to go with his answer. :biggrin:

Congratulations to selfAdjoint and Andre!

Cecco Angiolieri lived around 1260-1312 and became a steady respectable Siennese in later life so this is definitely a pre-1300 poem

What is "Guess the century of this sonnet"?

"Guess the century of this sonnet" is a game or activity where participants are given a sonnet and are tasked with determining the century in which it was written.

Why is it important to know the century of a sonnet?

Knowing the century of a sonnet can provide historical and cultural context to the poem, as styles and themes often varied between centuries. It can also help identify the author and their influences.

How do you determine the century of a sonnet?

There are a few ways to determine the century of a sonnet. One approach is to analyze the language and syntax used in the poem, as word usage and sentence structure evolved over time. Another way is to research the historical events and literary movements that were prevalent during certain centuries.

Can the century of a sonnet be accurately determined?

While it is possible to make an educated guess based on analysis and research, it is not always possible to accurately determine the century of a sonnet. Some poems may have been written in a style that mimics an earlier century, or authors may have intentionally written in a different style than was popular at the time.

Are there any tips for guessing the century of a sonnet?

One tip is to pay attention to the language and themes of the sonnet. For example, if the poem uses archaic language and references mythical figures, it may be from an earlier century. Additionally, researching the author and their influences can provide clues about the time period in which the sonnet was written.