Calculating how fast a wheel turns

• Thread starter gencartmanelee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of getting the wheels to look right in a cg animation of a moving car. The question is how to determine the time it takes for a wheel to complete one revolution, taking into account the distance and radius of the wheel. It is noted that this motion is not affected by acceleration or turning, as long as the turning radius is significantly larger than the wheel's radius. The individual also asks for recommendations on beginner level books that focus on practical problem-solving rather than just theory.
gencartmanelee
Its been over 4 years since physics, I'm a little rusty.

I am doing a cg animation of a car moving, and I can't get the wheels to look right when turning(I'm eyeballing the rotation of the wheels). The wheels look like they are turning to slow or too fast.

1)How do you determine how long it takes for a wheel to complete 1 revolution? My knowns are distance and radius of the wheels (I think that's all I'd need to know). If not, please just post a formula.

2)How is this effected when the car is accelerating?

3)How is this effected when the car is turning?

Tnx for the help, I'm sure you'll see more posts later from me on related things.

Also, is there an intro level book someone could recommend that teaches the basics of stuff like this? I don't want a book just about theory, I actually need to solve problems :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A wheel moves forward a distance equal to its circumference with each rotation.

- Warren

2) The wheels motion is not affected by acceleration since the point of the wheel that touched the surface will always be 0 assuming that you have a non-slip condition. The only difference will be that fact that the actual wheel will be spinning faster and faster with the car.

3) Again it will have no difference ASSUMING that the turning radius is much greater then the radius of the wheel.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a wheel?

The formula for calculating the speed of a wheel is speed = circumference x rotations per minute.

How do you measure the circumference of a wheel?

The circumference of a wheel can be measured by using a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance around the outside edge of the wheel.

What is the unit of measurement for the speed of a wheel?

The speed of a wheel is typically measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

Can the size of the wheel affect its speed?

Yes, the size of the wheel can affect its speed. A larger wheel will cover a greater distance with each rotation, resulting in a faster speed compared to a smaller wheel.

How can I calculate the speed of a wheel if I only know the diameter?

If you only know the diameter of a wheel, you can use the formula speed = (diameter x pi) x rotations per minute to calculate its speed. Remember to convert the diameter to the correct unit of measurement (e.g. inches or centimeters) and use the appropriate value for pi (3.14 or 3.14159).