Is This System of Equations Solvable?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation was about a take-home quiz that asked for the solution to a system of equations, but the given equations did not have a solution. The person solving the quiz realized this and questioned the validity of the problem. The conversation then discussed the possibility of a system having no solution or infinite solutions, even with a zero determinant of the coefficient matrix.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok am I missing something here or did our professor give us a take-home quiz with a question that has no answer? We needed to find the answer to a system of equations as follows:

4x-8y+3z=16
-x+2y-5z=-21
3x-6y+z=6

I setup the matrix….

[tex]
\begin{array}{*{20}c}
4 & { - 8} & 3 & {16} \\
{ - 1} & 2 & { - 5} & { - 21} \\
3 & { - 6} & 1 & 6 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

I reduced it down to

[tex]
\begin{array}{*{20}c}
0 & 0 & { - 17} & { - 68} \\
{ - 1} & 2 & { - 5} & { - 21} \\
0 & 0 & { - 14} & { - 57} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

At this point I realized… the equations didn't work. Am I right to think this quiz was given with a bad problem on it?

I even had mathematica reduce it and it gave me 2 rows that tried to say 1 = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
At this point I realized… the equations didn't work. Am I right to think this quiz was given with a bad problem on it?

What's wrong with asking for a solution to a system with no solution? Your answer should be something like, "It's a singular matrix, no solution."

Well i wouldn't expect something that easy on a quiz...

Pengwuino said:
Well i wouldn't expect something that easy on a quiz...

So I guess that makes it a pretty good question for a quiz!:cool:

The determinant of the matrix is zero, so there is no solution.

A zero determinant of the coefficient matrix doesn't necessarily imply that there are no solutions. If the rank of the coefficient matrix is smaller than the rank of the 'extended matrix' (coefficient matrix + column of constants) then you have a system without a solution.
However, it's possible that although the determinant of the coefficient matrix is zero, the system still has solutions. You will find an infinite number of solutions in that case, the equations were then linearly dependant.

What does it mean when a matrix doesn't reduce?

When a matrix doesn't reduce, it means that it cannot be transformed into its reduced row echelon form using elementary row operations. This can happen for various reasons, such as the matrix being singular or having linearly dependent rows.

Why is it important for a matrix to reduce?

Reducing a matrix to its reduced row echelon form is important because it simplifies the matrix and makes it easier to solve systems of linear equations or perform other operations. It also helps in finding the rank and inverse of the matrix.

How can I tell if a matrix doesn't reduce?

A matrix doesn't reduce if it has a row of all zeros or a row where the first non-zero entry is not equal to 1. Another way to tell is if the reduced matrix still has non-zero entries in the same column as the leading entry of a row.

Can a matrix not reduce and still have a solution?

Yes, a matrix can fail to reduce and still have a solution. This can happen when the reduced matrix has a row of all zeros, indicating that one of the variables is a free variable. This means that there are infinitely many solutions to the system of equations represented by the matrix.

Is there a way to reduce a matrix if it doesn't reduce using elementary row operations?

No, if a matrix doesn't reduce using elementary row operations, it cannot be reduced. However, there are other methods that can be used to simplify the matrix, such as Gaussian elimination or the LU decomposition method.