How Do You Calculate a Particle's Average Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a Math Dynamics course where the student is stuck and needs help determining a particle's average velocity and speed during a time interval. The solution is to find the final displacement and divide by the total time for average velocity, and to find the total distance and divide by the total time for average speed. The difference between velocity and speed is also noted.
markow202
Hi everyone,

I am doing a Math Dynamics course as an independant study and a lot I have to teach myself. One problem I am stuck on I don't seem to know how to start it or which formula to use. The book has all the formulas but I don't know how to start...

question asks:

"A particle travels along a straight line such that in 2 s it moves from an initial position Sa = +0.5m to a position Sb = -1.5m. Then in another 4 s it moves from Sb to Sc = +2.5m. Determine the particle's average velocity and average speed during the 6-s time interval."

Im so lost please help :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
For Average velocity

Find the final displacement of the particle from the initial position. Then divide this by the total time taken.

For average speed

Find the total distance traveled by the particle. Divide this by the total time taken.

One of the main points physicsprasanna is implicitly making, is that velocity takes into account the direction.
Speed does not.

Ok thanks I'll try to work that out.

If any more comments feel free. :smile:

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of the displacement of an object over time, taking into account both the direction and magnitude of the movement.

How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took for the displacement to occur. It can be expressed as a formula: average velocity = (change in displacement) / (change in time).

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall measure of an object's movement over a specific time period, while instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

What are the units for average velocity?

The units for average velocity depend on the units used for displacement and time. For example, if displacement is measured in meters and time is measured in seconds, then the unit for average velocity would be meters per second (m/s).

How is average velocity used in real-life situations?

Average velocity is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the average speed of a moving vehicle, determining the average rate at which a chemical reaction is occurring, or finding the average velocity of a person walking or running. It is also used in physics to understand the motion of objects and in engineering to design and analyze various systems.