Calculating Voltage and Current for an AC Source | 180sin377t Equation Explained

In summary, the voltage of an AC source is given by the equation V = 180\sin({377t}) where V is the instantaneous voltage and t is in seconds. The rms value of the voltage is 180/\sqrt{2} \approx 127.28V. The frequency of the AC source is 377/2\pi \approx 60Hz. If this voltage is connected to a 40 ohm resistor, the equation that describes the current I as a function of time is I = 4.5\sin({377t}).
Dr3w529
The voltage of an AC source is given by the equation v=180sin377t where v is the instantaneous voltage and t is in seconds. (a) what is the rms value of the voltage? (b) what is the frequency of the ac source? (c) if this voltage is connected to a 40 ohm resistor, find the equation that describles the current I as a function of time.

My Work:
Vrms= Vpeak/(sq rt)2
180sin377t/(sqrt)2
=1.6t/(sqrt)2
=1.13t
I=V/z
1.6t/(sqrt)2/40
=.028t

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr3w529 said:
The voltage of an AC source is given by the equation v=180sin377t where v is the instantaneous voltage and t is in seconds. (a) what is the rms value of the voltage? (b) what is the frequency of the ac source? (c) if this voltage is connected to a 40 ohm resistor, find the equation that describles the current I as a function of time.

My Work:
Vrms= Vpeak/(sq rt)2
180sin377t/(sqrt)2
=1.6t/(sqrt)2
=1.13t
I=V/z
1.6t/(sqrt)2/40
=.028t

The voltage function is properly represented by [tex]V = 180\sin({377t})[/tex]

A few things to note.

1) A general voltage function takes the form [tex]V = V_0\sin(\omega t)[/tex] where [tex]V_0, \omega[/tex] respectively represent the peak voltage and the angular frequency respectively.

2) The angle [tex]\omega t[/tex] is generally assumed to be in radians, not degrees.

In calculating the rms voltage, you have the right formula [tex]V_{rms} = \frac{V_0}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] But you used the wrong value for the peak voltage. You shouldn't touch whatever comes after the sin, because that's the angular (phase) component. Just use the 180 as the peak voltage and recalculate.

For the frequency, look up the relationship between angular frequency and frequency. Remember that we're working in radians, so you should expect to see "pi" cropping up. The angular frequency here is given as 377 radians/second.

For the last part, remember that a resistor is a purely resistive load and the current will be in phase with the voltage. The voltage and the current will be related by Ohm's law. The current will change with time, matching the shape of the voltage waveform. Knowing Ohm's law, it's a simple matter to figure out the equation of the current as a function of time.

1. What is an AC source?

An AC source, also known as an alternating current source, is a device that produces an electrical current that changes direction periodically. This type of current is commonly used in household electricity and is essential for the operation of many electronic devices.

2. How does an AC source work?

An AC source works by using a generator to produce an alternating current. This current is then distributed through a network of power lines to homes and businesses. The alternating current is created by rotating a magnet inside a coil of wire, which creates a changing magnetic field that induces a current in the wire.

3. What are the advantages of using an AC source?

One of the main advantages of AC sources is that they are able to transmit electricity over long distances with relatively low energy loss. They are also more efficient at powering large devices and can easily be converted to different voltages using transformers.

4. What are the common types of AC sources?

The most common types of AC sources include generators, power plants, and inverters. Generators are used to produce electricity in homes and businesses, while power plants generate large amounts of electricity for distribution to a wider area. Inverters are used to convert DC power to AC power, which is commonly used in solar energy systems.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with AC sources?

When working with AC sources, it is important to follow proper safety precautions to avoid electrical hazards. This includes using insulated tools, wearing protective gear, and ensuring the power is turned off before making any changes or repairs. It is also important to have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and to never touch any part of an AC source while it is powered on.