A_i,j - A_j,i is a tensor

• Thread starter JohanL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the expressions A_{i.j}-A_{j.i} and E_{ij.k}+E_{jk.i}+E_{ki.j} are tensors, even under non-linear transformations. The dots in i.j represent partial derivatives, and the discussion also mentions the concept of non-linear transformations and their impact on tensors.
JohanL
prove that for any vector

[tex]A_i[/tex]

the expression

[tex]A_{i.j}-A_{j.i}[/tex]

is a tensor, even under non-linear transformations. Similarly prove that for any antisymmetric tensor

[tex]E_{ij}[/tex]

the expression

[tex]E_{ij.k}+E_{jk.i}+E_{ki.j}[/tex]

is a tensor.

What does the dots mean?
For example between i and j in i.j ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.
I solved the problem except that about
even under non-linear transformations.
non-linear transformations from one set of coordinates to another?
what changes if its non-linear transformations?

Maybe non-linear means higher order terms in partials derivitives of the coordinates? They would cancel out in the examples given.

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between multiple vectors and scalars in a space. It is represented as a multi-dimensional array of numbers and follows certain transformation rules.

2. How is a tensor different from a vector or a matrix?

A tensor is a more general concept that includes both vectors and matrices. While a vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers, and a matrix is a two-dimensional array, a tensor can have any number of dimensions. Additionally, tensors have specific transformation properties that make them useful in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What does A_i,j - A_j,i represent in a tensor?

A_i,j - A_j,i represents the skew-symmetric part of a tensor. This means that the tensor has two components, one that is symmetric (A_i,j + A_j,i) and one that is skew-symmetric (A_i,j - A_j,i). This is helpful in understanding the properties of a tensor and how it behaves under certain transformations.

4. Why is it important that A_i,j - A_j,i is a tensor?

The fact that A_i,j - A_j,i is a tensor means that it follows certain transformation properties, which makes it useful in various fields of science and engineering. It also allows us to manipulate and analyze the skew-symmetric component of a tensor separately from the symmetric component. This can be helpful in solving problems and making predictions in complex systems.

5. Can you give an example of a tensor that satisfies A_i,j - A_j,i = 0?

One example of a tensor that satisfies A_i,j - A_j,i = 0 is the strain tensor in mechanics. In this case, the symmetric part of the tensor represents the normal strain, while the skew-symmetric part represents the shear strain. Since there can be no shear strain without normal strain, the symmetric and skew-symmetric parts must be equal, making the skew-symmetric component equal to zero.