How Does Tension in a Spinning Chain Relate to EM Wave Propagation Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension of a spinning chain with mass per unit length u and angular speed w. It is mentioned that the chain is in the form of a loop and is spinning about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the loop. The conversation also touches upon the concept of EM waves traveling at the same speed as the chain's linear speed.
mickry
I need to find the tension of a spinning chain with mass per unit length u and angular speed w. I need to show that em waves on the chain travel at the same speed as the chains linear speed. please help if you can,

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to mention its a loop of chain

Since it is a loop, I assume it is spinning about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the loop. Every bit of the chain of length dl has a mass dm that is accelerating toward the center of the loop. The net force on half of the loop is the integral of the required centripetal force over the semicircle. The result will be directed from the midpoint of the semicircle to the loop center. This force is supplied by the two ends of the opposite semicircle as the tension in the loop. I think this approach will get you there for finding the tension. I really don't get the part about the EM waves.

Last edited:

1. What is the spinning chain question?

The spinning chain question is a physics problem that involves a chain hanging off the edge of a table and being pulled down by gravity. The chain starts to rotate as it falls, and the question is to determine how much of the chain will be on the table at a given time.

2. What are the main factors that affect the spinning chain?

The main factors that affect the spinning chain are the length of the chain, the height at which it is dropped, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the properties of the chain itself may also play a role.

3. How is the spinning chain question solved?

The spinning chain question can be solved using mathematical equations and principles of physics such as conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum. It can also be solved experimentally by dropping a chain and measuring the amount of chain on the table at different times.

4. What are some real-life applications of the spinning chain question?

The spinning chain question has practical applications in understanding the behavior of chains and other flexible objects as they fall. It can also be used to study the movement of objects under the influence of gravity and other forces.

5. Are there any variations of the spinning chain question?

Yes, there are variations of the spinning chain question that involve different starting conditions, such as a chain attached to a moving object or a chain with a different shape or material. These variations can provide insights into different aspects of the physics involved in the problem.