Hello,I am doing a project on Riemann, but. .

In summary, Riemann zeta function measures the prime number distribution and can be used to infer information about the prime number distribution. Additionally, he studied the rate at which the zeta function goes to infinity and determined the zeroes to be on the line 1/2.
pibomb
Hello,

I am doing a project on Riemann but I don't understand some of his contributions. For instance, I do not understand what Riemann zeta-function measures or what it does, what the Riemann hypothesis states, or what the difference is between Riemannian geometry and hilbert geometry. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
pibomb said:
Hello,

I am doing a project on Riemann but I don't understand some of his contributions. For instance, I do not understand what Riemann zeta-function measures or what it does, what the Riemann hypothesis states, or what the difference is between Riemannian geometry and hilbert geometry. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How many years do you plan to spend on your project?

Er...I don't plan to spend a whole career after it. I just want to know, in laymen terms, what some of his various contributions mean.

Anyone? I simply just need to know what the Riemann-Zeta function "does," what the Riemann hypothesis is "speculating," and how Riemannian geometry differs from Hilbert geometry.

the riemann zeta function is a refinement of eulers product formula. the idea is to define a complex analytic function whose definition is entirely determined by the distribution of primes in the integers, and then to use complex analysis on that function to try to understand the prime distribution better.
\
i.e. the primes determine the function, so anything you can learn about the function should illuminate the distribution of primes.

the well known harmonic series summation 1/n for all positive integers, can be factored formally as the infinite product, over all primes p, of the series summation 1/p^r for all r. this is eulers product.

if we sum this geometric series we get 1/[1 - (1/p)], hence tha hrmonic series "equals" the product of these terms obver all primes.

now although the ahrmonic series diverges, if we raise each tewrm to a power s greater than 1, we have a convergent series, summation 1/n^s, correspondiung via eualers product, to the product over all p of the factors

1/[1 - p^(-s)]. thus someone, probably riemann had the brilliant idea that if we define a function to be zeta(s) = summation 1/n^s =
product 1/[1 - p^(-s)], we get an interesting function, and of mcourse the most informnation is obtained by using compelkx variables s.

then one topic of interest is the rate at which this functioin goes to infinity as s approaches 1, i.e. as the zeta function approaches the harmonic series.

then someone (riemann?) also observed that this function, defiend above for re(s) > 1, could actually be analytically continued, i.e. extended, to all s as a function with isolated zeroes and poles. then another topic of interest is to determine its zewroes.

indeed riemann tried to show that the zeroes were all on the line re(s) = 1/2, and to derive from this a very precise estimate of the number of primes below any given magnitude.

riemanns paper has been translated several tiems into english and i recommend you get hold of a copy and read it, whatever the result in comporehension.

this belongs in the number theory forum by the way.

If you're interested, the paper can be found at the following link:

http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Riemann_Hypothesis/1859_manuscript/EZeta.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to read about the riemann roch theorem, it is discussed on my website.

1. What is the Riemann hypothesis?

The Riemann hypothesis is a conjecture in mathematics that proposes a connection between the distribution of prime numbers and the behavior of the Riemann zeta function.

2. Who was Bernhard Riemann?

Bernhard Riemann was a German mathematician who lived in the 19th century. He is most well-known for his contributions to analysis, number theory, and differential geometry.

3. What is the significance of the Riemann hypothesis?

The Riemann hypothesis is considered to be one of the most important unsolved problems in mathematics. Its proof would have major implications in various fields, including number theory and cryptography.

4. What approaches have been taken to prove the Riemann hypothesis?

Many mathematicians have attempted to prove the Riemann hypothesis, but so far no one has been successful. Some approaches include using analytical techniques, computational methods, and connections to other mathematical concepts.

5. What are some consequences of the Riemann hypothesis being proven false?

If the Riemann hypothesis is proven to be false, it would have a significant impact on the understanding of prime numbers and the distribution of zeros of the Riemann zeta function. It could also lead to new insights and advancements in mathematics.