How Does Adding Mass Affect the Angular Speed of a Spinning Disk?

In summary, the disk has a diameter of 12.0cm and is spinning at an angular speed of 72 revolutions per minute. A piece of putty with a mass of 5.0g is dropped on to the disk 4.0cm from the centre, causing the angular speed to decrease to 60 revolutions per minute. The moment of inertia of the disk is needed to calculate the moment of inertia of the disc, and a constant tangential force is applied to the rim of the disk to bring it to rest in 6.0s. The rotational energy of the system before and after the putty is added must also be calculated. The conservation of angular momentum and
Wurz
A horizontal disk of diameter 12.0cm is spinning freely about a vertical axis through its centre at an angular speed of 72 revolutions per minute. A piece of putty of mass 5.0g drops on to and sticks to the disk a distance of 4.0cm from the centre. The angular speed reduces to 60 revolutions per minute.

1. I need to calculate the moment of inertia of the disc. I can assume that no external torques are applied to the system during this process.

2. A constant tangential force is now applied to the rim of the disk which brings it to rest in 6.0s. Calculate the magnitude of this force.

3. Calculate the rotational energy of the system before and after the putty is added to the disc.

Physics news on Phys.org
wurz, we need to have you show some work or thought about the problem before helping out. I'll add a suggestion that maybe the first question is like a collision which sticks, where Mvi=(M+m)vf where vi and vf are initial and final velocities.

I think you must use these equations for the questions: L=lw and you must know that I=mr^2. You must also use the analogous equations--similar to those in linear mechanics-- of rotational mechanics equations to solve the problem.

Just plug in and solve.

I understand Denverdoc, thanks for the lead... I think I've got a good answer using the conservation laws: m1v1 = m2v2, and I=mr^2
the answer is very small however, with I = 2.00x10-5kg m^2 does this sound anything like what you would expect??

nice one Atomicbomb22, I got to that point as I read your reply. many thanks for re-inforcing what I had suspected...

Wurx,

uh, might have taken what I suggersted too literally, Its a rotational problem using angular quantities and conservation of these. Without doing the work looks ballpark where 72X=(x+2)60

Wurz said:
I understand Denverdoc, thanks for the lead... I think I've got a good answer using the conservation laws: m1v1 = m2v2, and I=mr^2
the answer is very small however, with I = 2.00x10-5kg m^2 does this sound anything like what you would expect??

I think you are missing a factor of 2 in your answer. Use conservation of angular momentum, I'm sure that's what the question intended.

denverdoc said:
Wurx,

uh, might have taken what I suggersted too literally, Its a rotational problem using angular quantities and conservation of these. Without doing the work looks ballpark where 72X=(x+2)60

How did you get a 2 in there? I'm assuming X and x are representing the same thing.

Yes, the moment of inertia of the disk. For that I recall being 1/2mr^2, while the point is mr^2

Last edited:

What is head scratching momentum?

Head scratching momentum refers to the phenomenon where a person's instinctual reaction to a confusing or difficult problem is to scratch their head. It is often used as a colloquial term for the mental process of trying to make sense of something that is confusing or challenging.

What causes head scratching momentum?

Head scratching momentum is caused by a combination of factors, including the complexity of the problem, the individual's level of understanding or knowledge about the topic, and the amount of effort required to solve the problem. It can also be influenced by factors such as stress, fatigue, and distractions.

Is head scratching momentum a good or bad thing?

Head scratching momentum can be both a good and a bad thing. It can be a sign that the person is actively engaged in problem-solving and trying to find a solution. However, it can also indicate that the problem is particularly challenging or that the person is struggling to understand it.

How can head scratching momentum be reduced?

Head scratching momentum can be reduced by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help or guidance from others, taking breaks to rest and clear the mind, and practicing problem-solving techniques such as brainstorming or visualization.

Is head scratching momentum a universal phenomenon?

While head scratching momentum is a common occurrence, it is not necessarily universal. Some cultures or individuals may have different reflexes or reactions to confusing or difficult problems. Additionally, the frequency and intensity of head scratching momentum may vary from person to person.