Find Max Power from 60Hz 4000A Power Line w/ 200m Wire

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum power that can be extracted from a 60Hz, 4000A power line passing near a house using a rectangular loop with side lengths A and B. The B field from the wire is calculated using the equation B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}, and the flux linkage through the loop is determined using the equation \psi = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{B} \int_{20}^{20 + A} 1/r drdz. The maximum voltage is found using MatLab, and the corresponding voltage is 19.909 Volts when A = 31.8 meters. The next
seang

Homework Statement

A 60Hz, 4000A power line passes near your house. You have 200m of wire. The closest you can get to the wire is 20m. Find the maximum power you can extract from the power line. The graphic shows that the loop has to be rectangular with side lengths A and B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the wire to be in the Z direction, and so A is in the r direction. The B field from the wire is.

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/tex]

Flux Linkage through the loop:

[tex] \psi = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{B} \int_{20}^{20 + A} 1/r drdz [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\mu_0*4000sin(377t)*b}{2 \pi} * ln(\frac{(20 + A)}{20}) [/tex]

then,

[tex] 200 = 2a + 2b , b = 100-a [/tex]

[tex]V = \frac {d\psi}{dt} = .3016cos(377t)*(100-A) * ln(\frac{20+A}{20} [/tex]

I used MatLab to find that the maximum voltage occurs when A = 31.8 meters. The corresponding voltage is 19.909 Volts.

So this is as far as I've gotten. I need either the Z of the load or the current in the loop to find the power, right? Is the induced current related to the source current?

Attachments

• pic.JPG
    pic.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I can make this easier, I think I just need to know how current on one loop induced a current on another, given that I don't know the resistance of the second loop.

I mean, In this example, I know that the current on the second loop will be 60Hz, but how can I find the magnitude?

To find the maximum power that can be extracted from the power line, we need to consider the power equation P = VI, where V is the voltage and I is the current. From the solution provided, we can see that the maximum voltage that can be induced in the loop is 19.909 Volts. However, to determine the maximum current, we need to know the impedance of the load connected to the loop. If we assume a resistive load, then the current can be calculated as I = V/R, where R is the resistance of the load. Once we have the maximum current, we can calculate the maximum power as P = 19.909 * I.

Alternatively, if we know the current in the power line (4000A), we can use the power formula P = I^2R, where R is the total resistance of the loop. From the solution provided, we can see that the total resistance of the loop is 100-A. Therefore, the maximum power that can be extracted from the power line is P = (4000)^2 * (100-A).

It is important to note that in this solution, we have assumed a resistive load and have not taken into account any losses in the loop or the power line. In a real-world scenario, these factors would need to be considered to accurately determine the maximum power that can be extracted from the power line.

1. What is the maximum power that can be transmitted through a 60Hz 4000A power line with a 200m wire?

The maximum power that can be transmitted through a 60Hz 4000A power line with a 200m wire can be calculated using the formula P = (3√3 * V * I * cos θ) / 1000, where P is the power in kilowatts, V is the voltage in kilovolts, I is the current in amperes, and θ is the phase angle. Without knowing the voltage and phase angle, it is not possible to determine the exact value of the maximum power.

2. How does the frequency and current affect the maximum power of a power line?

The frequency and current have a direct impact on the maximum power that can be transmitted through a power line. A higher frequency and current can lead to an increase in the maximum power, while a lower frequency and current can result in a decrease in the maximum power. This is because the power formula takes into account the frequency and current in its calculation.

3. What is the significance of a 200m wire in the maximum power calculation?

The length of the wire is an important factor in determining the maximum power that can be transmitted through a power line. A longer wire will have higher resistance, which can lead to power losses and decrease the maximum power that can be transmitted. In this case, the length of the wire is 200m, which should be considered in the calculation of the maximum power.

4. Can the maximum power be increased by using a higher voltage or different phase angle?

Yes, the maximum power can be increased by using a higher voltage or different phase angle. As mentioned before, the power formula takes into account the voltage and phase angle, and a change in these values can lead to a change in the maximum power. However, it is important to consider safety regulations and limitations when increasing the voltage or changing the phase angle.

5. How can the maximum power be optimized for this power line?

To optimize the maximum power for this power line, one can make adjustments to the voltage, current, and phase angle. By selecting the appropriate values for these variables, the maximum power can be increased while still adhering to safety regulations and limitations. Additionally, minimizing the length of the wire and using high-quality materials can also help optimize the maximum power for this power line.