Sarah Asks: How Does Adding Resistors in Parallel Affect Circuit Current?

In summary, adding resistors in parallel decreases the total resistance of a circuit, resulting in an increase in overall current. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance. Adding resistors in parallel will always increase the current, as the total resistance decreases. In a parallel circuit, each resistor has its own branch with varying individual currents, depending on their resistance. Adding too many resistors in parallel can cause a problem with circuit current and potentially damage components. The total resistance in a parallel circuit is always lower than the individual resistances due to the multiple paths for the current to flow through.
Skipperchrldr
Hey!
I had to do 3 labs tonight and I got stuck on one of the last questions! I was wondering if anyone could help me. Here's the question: As more resistors are added in parallel to an existing circuit, what happens to the toal circuit current? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
~Sarah

Physics news on Phys.org
When you add resistors in parallel, what happens to the total resistance? Does it get bigger or smaller?

Hi Sarah,

Adding resistors in parallel to an existing circuit will decrease the total circuit resistance, which in turn will increase the total circuit current. This is because when resistors are connected in parallel, each resistor provides an additional pathway for current to flow through. As a result, more current will flow through the circuit as a whole.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. How does adding resistors in parallel affect circuit current?

When resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance of the circuit decreases, causing an increase in the overall current. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance in the circuit.

2. Will adding resistors in parallel always increase the current?

Yes, adding resistors in parallel will always increase the current. This is because the total resistance of the circuit decreases, allowing more current to flow.

3. What happens to the individual currents of resistors in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, each resistor has its own branch and receives the same voltage. This means that the individual currents of resistors in parallel will vary, depending on their individual resistances. The higher the resistance, the lower the current will be.

4. Can adding too many resistors in parallel cause a problem with circuit current?

Yes, adding too many resistors in parallel can cause a problem with circuit current. As more resistors are added, the overall resistance of the circuit decreases, causing the current to increase. If the current becomes too high, it can potentially damage the components in the circuit.

5. How does the total resistance of a parallel circuit compare to the individual resistances?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is always lower than the individual resistances. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance in the circuit.