QC 6.4 Zwiebach: Deriving the Relativistic Dot Product

In summary, the equation \frac{\partial}{\partial{\dot{X}^{\mu}}} \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) ^2 = \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) \cdot \frac{\partial{X^{\mu}}}{\partial{\tau}} is a result of taking the derivative with respect to the spacetime vector component X^{\mu} of the mapping function X(\tau,\sigma). This is due to the definition of \dot{X}^{\mu}
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Zwiebach QC 6.4

Why is

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial{X^{\mu}}} \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) ^2 = \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) \cdot \frac{\partial{X^{\mu}}}{\partial{\tau}}[/tex]

The dot is the relativistic dot product.
What I am confused about is how you take the derivative with respect to one component X^mu of the spacetime vectors and get a quantity that still has [tex] \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) [/tex]. Is there an intermediate step someone could show me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain just what kind of object everything is?

If I just lively think of X as a function of [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] with values in a 4-dimensional vector space with the Minkowski inner product, then the partial derivative w.r.t. the i-th component is

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial X_i} \left(
\frac{\partial X}{\partial \tau}
\cdot
\frac{\partial X}{\partial \sigma}
\right)
=
\left( \mathbf{\hat{e}}_i \frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \tau} \right)
\cdot
+
\cdot
\left( \mathbf{\hat{e}}_i \frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \sigma} \right)
=
2\frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \sigma}
[/tex]

([itex]\mathbf{\hat{e}}_i[/itex] is a standard basis vector) Applying the chain rule would give

[tex]
\cdot
\right)^2 =
\left(
\cdot
\right)
\frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \sigma}
[/tex]

Not quite what you have, but maybe you can see how your things are different from my things and fill in the gap.

Last edited:
Sorry. My post was rather terse.

[tex] X^{\mu}(\tau,\sigma) [/tex] is the mapping function from parameter space (of the parameters tau and sigma) into spacetime. So, in this context what is the basis vector (it is just some pseudo-Euclidean basis vector probably)? Is there a way to do this without going into basis vectors? Why does [tex]
\right)
=
\left( \mathbf{\hat{e}}_i \frac{\partial X_i}{\partial \tau} \right)
[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Because [itex]X = (X_0, X_1, X_2, X_3)[/itex]. If you differentiate it with respect to, say, component 2, you get
[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial X}{\partial X_2}
&= \frac{\partial}{\partial X_2} (X_0, X_1, X_2, X_3)
\\&= \left(\frac{\partial X_0}{\partial X_2},
\frac{\partial X_1}{\partial X_2},\frac{\partial X_2}{\partial X_2},
\frac{\partial X_3}{\partial X_2}
\right)
\\&= (0, 0, 1, 0) = \mathbf{\hat{e}}_2
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Hrm, I know I did something wrong last night, but I'm still too sleepy to spot it at the moment...

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial{X^{\mu}}} \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) ^2 = \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) \cdot \frac{\partial{X^{\mu}}}{\partial{\tau}}[/tex]

You missed a dot (and/or a prime). The equation is:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial{\dot{X}^{\mu}}} \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) ^2 = \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) \cdot \frac{\partial{X^{\mu}}}{\partial{\tau}}[/tex]
where [itex]\dot{X}^{\mu} is defined in equation (6.40) on page 100.

ehrenfest said:
You missed a dot (and/or a prime). The equation is:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial{\dot{X}^{\mu}}} \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) ^2 = \left( \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\tau}} \cdot \frac{\partial X}{\partial{\sigma}} \right) \cdot \frac{\partial{X^{\mu}}}{\partial{\tau}}[/tex]
where [itex]\dot{X}^{\mu}[/itex] is defined in equation (6.40) on page 100.

Last edited:

1. What is QC 6.4 Zwiebach and why is it important in science?

QC 6.4 Zwiebach refers to a specific section in the book "A First Course in String Theory" written by Barton Zwiebach. In this section, the author discusses the concept of deriving the relativistic dot product, which is a fundamental concept in the study of string theory. This concept is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions at the quantum level.

2. What is the relativistic dot product and how is it derived?

The relativistic dot product is a mathematical operation used to calculate the magnitude of a vector in the context of special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. It is derived using the Lorentz transformation equations, which relate the coordinates of an event in one reference frame to another moving reference frame.

3. What are the applications of the relativistic dot product?

The relativistic dot product has many applications in the field of physics, particularly in understanding the behavior of fundamental particles at high speeds. It is used in the study of special relativity, quantum mechanics, and string theory. It is also applied in fields such as particle accelerators, cosmology, and astrophysics.

4. How does the relativistic dot product differ from the classical dot product?

The classical dot product only takes into account the spatial components of a vector, whereas the relativistic dot product takes into account both spatial and temporal components. This allows for the effects of time dilation and length contraction to be included in the calculation of the vector's magnitude.

5. Can the relativistic dot product be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the relativistic dot product can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it is a fundamental concept in the study of string theory, which is based on the idea of multidimensional space-time. The calculations and equations used in higher dimensions are similar to those used in three dimensions, but with additional components to account for the extra dimensions.