Ionic Bonding p.2: Na+¹ + O-² to Na2O?

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding the process of combining Na+¹ and O-² to form Na2O. The poster initially struggled to understand the answer given in a previous thread, but eventually realized that the solution was simple and straightforward. An analogy is provided to better understand the concept.
jleposky

Homework Statement

I just made a thread on this but i did not understand the answer so I am asking for a simpler definition. How do I get from Na+¹ + O-² to Na2O??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, i understand it now, it was so easy but people had to confuse it.

Consider this example:
If you want your shoes to match with your pants...
and, you need to buy both of them. What would be ratio between the number of shoes and the number pants you bought.

In above question, oxygen are like shoes, and Na are like pants. Hopefully, you would be able to get a better analogy!

Edit: somehow, I missed your second post.

Last edited:

1. What is an ionic bond?

An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond that forms between a positively charged ion (cation) and a negatively charged ion (anion).

2. How does an ionic bond form between Na+¹ and O-²?

In the case of Na+¹ and O-², the Na+¹ ion will donate its one valence electron to the O-² ion, resulting in both ions having a full outer shell. This creates a strong electrostatic attraction between the two ions, forming an ionic bond.

3. What is the resulting compound from the ionic bond between Na+¹ and O-²?

The resulting compound is called sodium oxide (Na2O), which is a white solid with a high melting point. It is commonly used in the manufacturing of glass and ceramics.

4. What properties does sodium oxide exhibit due to its ionic bond?

Sodium oxide has a high melting and boiling point, is a good conductor of electricity in molten or aqueous form, and is a brittle solid at room temperature. It also has a high solubility in water due to its ionic nature.

5. Can an ionic bond be broken?

Yes, an ionic bond can be broken through the process of dissociation, where the ions are separated from each other when dissolved in a solvent or melted. Additionally, strong heating or exposure to extreme conditions can also break an ionic bond.