1-D simple harmonic oscillator

In summary, the difference between the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures is in the way time evolution is represented. In the Schrodinger picture, the time evolution operator operates on the state vector while the dynamic variables x and p remain unchanged. In the Heisenberg picture, it is the dynamic variables that change while the state vector stays the same. This distinction can be useful in certain calculations, but both pictures ultimately yield the same results.
indigojoker
I was just wondering what the difference was in the 1-D simple harmonic oscillator in the Heisenberg picture versus the Schrodinger picture?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is generally the difference b/w the Heisenberg and the Schrödinger pictures ?

dextercioby, please correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding of the two pictures (involving time):

In the Schrodinger picture, the time evolution operator operates on the state vector and the dynamic variabs x and p do not change. So:

x->x
p->p
|a> -> U|a>

However, in the Heisenberg picture, the dynamic variables x and p changes, while the state vector stays the same:

let *=dagger

x(t)->U*xU
p(t)->U*pU
|a> -> |a>

i guess I'm confused as to how this related to the SHO?

The difference is if we tag the time dependence onto the states or onto the operators.
In one picture (Schrödinger) the operators are not time-dependent, and the states generally are. In the Heisenberg picture it's the other way around.
Of course, they're completely equivalent (when you calculate the physically relevant quantities like expectation values etc. you get the same answer in both), it's just that sometimes one is more efficient than the other.

1. What is a 1-D Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

A 1-D simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force proportional to its displacement from that point.

2. What is the equation of motion for a 1-D Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The equation of motion for a 1-D simple harmonic oscillator is x(t) = A*cos(ω*t + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. How is the period of a 1-D Simple Harmonic Oscillator related to its frequency?

The period of a 1-D simple harmonic oscillator is equal to 2π divided by its angular frequency, T = 2π/ω. This means that the period and frequency are inversely proportional to each other.

4. What is the potential energy function for a 1-D Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The potential energy function for a 1-D simple harmonic oscillator is given by U(x) = 1/2*k*x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This potential energy function represents the energy stored in the system due to the spring's elastic properties.

5. How does the mass of a 1-D Simple Harmonic Oscillator affect its motion?

The mass of a 1-D simple harmonic oscillator affects its motion by changing its natural frequency. A larger mass will result in a lower natural frequency and longer period, while a smaller mass will result in a higher natural frequency and shorter period. However, the amplitude and phase of the oscillation will remain unchanged.