Syringe Pump Manufacturing: Motors Used in Systems

In summary: Basically, to manufacture a syringe pump like the one pictured, it takes a motor, a lead screw, and a driver IC. The motor is typically a stepper motor driving a lead screw. A simple clock circuit provides a train of pulses to the stepper driver IC. The lead screw would be perhaps 1/8inch (3mm) pitch so one step would be 1/100mm movement of the syringe. The maximum speed of the stepper is typically 1/second so you would only move the syringe 3mm/sec. The advantage of a stepper is high torque so no need for a gearbox, and it is simple to drive. The disadvantage of a stepper is high peak current.
hanson
What does it take to manufacture such a syringe pump?
What kind of motor is usually used in these systems?
http://www.macros.com.tw/p_kds.asp

Engineering news on Phys.org
can we see it better in this picture?
http://www.syringepump.com/oem.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually a stepper motor driving a lead screw.
You run the stepper from a simple clock circuit that provides a train of pulses to the stepper driver IC.

But how would one get that train of pulses?
And is there anything related to microprocessor?
(I am sorry. I am an idiot in electronics)

You could just use a simple RC circuit and a stepper driver IC
Some example circuits here http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/stepper/control2/connect.html

In a real product you would probably use either a very simple micro (8051) or a PIC just because it is easier to use a single board across a range of products with different features and a micro is useful if you want to add things like a keypad or have accurately adjustable rates.

Thanks mgb_phys, regarding the "very simple micro (8051)", is there any good online introduction or tutorial that i could follow?

I think i would need a real product setting. Basically, I would like to reproduce the above micr-processer controlled syringe pump. Is it difficult to do so?

Generally board level micros require you to buy a dev kit and programming hardware.
If you are doing large production runs it's worthwhile but if this is just a hobby/ptorotype project you might be better off with a Basic stamp. This is a single chip computer that runs BASIC and can control lots of things like stepper motors - you program it with a serial lead from your PC.
They are made by a few companies - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Stamp
If you are in the UK these people are very helpful http://www.milinst.com/

The next step up if you want to do 'C' or assembler is a PIC - again a very simple single chip micro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller

Either way you will need a driver chip to control the stepper - the micro cannot drive the current needed for the motor directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think a step motor will do?
I mean would it deliver reasonably smooth motion for my application?
And how much would you estimate the entire system to be?
I will need a prototype only.

Stepper motors are typically 200 steps/revolution.
The lead screw would be perhaps 1/8inch (3mm) pitch so one step would be 1/100mm movement of the syringe. Max speed of the stepper is typically 1/second so you would only move the syringe 3mm/sec.

Advantage of a stepper is high torque - so no need for a gearbox, simple to drive.
Disadvantages - expensive, large and high peak current.

For a cheap product you could use a small DC motor and a gear box.
Put a slotted disc on the end of the lead screw and use a LED/photo-diode pair to count the rotation and control the speed and distance of the screw.

McMaster-Carr has some nice little DC motors with step down gear boxes on them for a relatively cheap price:

24 VDC— Have sleeve bearings.
p/n: 6331K35 $59.93

i too m working on syringe pumps...I'll be using 3717 ICs to drive them...But how do i choose the right stepper motor. My specs are :1.8 degree, unipolar, hybrid stepper motor...200 steps/revolution...How do i decide on the rpm, torque, current/voltage rating? i'll be using a gear ratio of 1:120...n flow rate required is 0-10ml/hour.
I need help coz once i decide on the motor I can decide the Vmm for my IC.

1. What types of motors are commonly used in syringe pump manufacturing?

There are several types of motors that are commonly used in syringe pump manufacturing, including stepper motors, DC motors, and servo motors.

2. What is the purpose of motors in syringe pump systems?

The main purpose of motors in syringe pump systems is to control the movement of the syringe plunger, which allows for precise and accurate dispensing of fluids.

3. How are motors selected for use in syringe pump systems?

When selecting a motor for use in a syringe pump system, factors such as speed, torque, and accuracy requirements are taken into consideration. Additionally, the type of motor and its compatibility with the control system are also important factors.

4. What are the advantages of using stepper motors in syringe pump systems?

Stepper motors are commonly used in syringe pump systems because they offer precise control over movement and positioning, as well as high torque at low speeds. They also do not require feedback sensors, making them cost-effective and easy to use.

5. How important is motor maintenance in syringe pump manufacturing?

Motor maintenance is crucial in syringe pump manufacturing as it ensures the longevity and proper functioning of the system. Regular cleaning, lubrication, and replacement of worn-out parts can help prevent motor failures and ensure accurate dispensing of fluids.