Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

• Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational by assuming it is rational and finding a contradiction. The conversation also touches on the definitions of integers, lowest terms, and even/odd numbers. Ultimately, it concludes that the proof for the cuberoot of 2 being irrational is similar to the proof for the square root of 2.
Goldenwind
[SOLVED] Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

Homework Statement

Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume it is rational, and find a contradiction.
2^(1/3) = a/b, where a, b are integers, where a/b is in lowest terms, and where b != 0.
2 = a^3 / b^3
2b^3 = a^3

Aaaand stuck.
Can someone give me a little push?

Physics news on Phys.org
It works just like the square root proof. What happens if a is not divisible by 2?

To be completely honest, neither of your answers really make sense to me :(
I mean, I'm sure they're completely valid and correct answers, but I'm having trouble grasping what you're getting at.

Can someone elaborate a little? I realize it has something to do with the definitions of a and b (Being integers, lowest terms, and b != 0), but I don't see what.

And NateTG, I have the squareroot proof in my book, in front of me... but it uses the fact that a^2 and b^2 = even. I can't use that fact here, as a^3 will be of the same polarity as a, and b^3 the same polarity as b. I can't rely on it being even, nor odd.

since 2b^3 = a^3 don't you know that a^3 is even? therefore making a even?

then a = 2c for some integer c, and subbing back in you get 2b^3=(2c)^3=8c^3?

does this help?

jimmypoopins said:
since 2b^3 = a^3 don't you know that a^3 is even? therefore making a even?

then a = 2c for some integer c, and subbing back in you get 2b^3=(2c)^3=8c^3?

does this help?

If a^3 = 6, then a = cuberoot(6), which in theory would be irrational (However proving this would just be another huge circle).

If a^3 is even, why is a even?
Ooohh... 'cause a has to be an integer...

Yeah, I think I see now.

And then because a and b are both even, they're both divisible by 2, which breaks the hypothesis of "lowest common terms".
Yes?

Goldenwind said:
If a^3 = 6, then a = cuberoot(6), which in theory would be irrational (However proving this would just be another huge circle).

If a^3 is even, why is a even?
Ooohh... 'cause a has to be an integer...

Yeah, I think I see now.
If a is odd what's a^3, odd or even?

Goldenwind said:
And then because a and b are both even, they're both divisible by 2, which breaks the hypothesis of "lowest common terms".
Yes?

Yeah, which is the same proof as for square root 2.

Yep, solved the problem now. Wanna know what was confusing me? For some reason, I thought that a^2 = Even, regardless of value of a. But then I sat there and thought... 3^2=9...wtf?

Yeah... sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks for your help everyone :)
With your help, I've not only completed this question, but blasted straight through the next one ^^;

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction.

2. How can we prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational?

We can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that the cuberoot of 2 is rational, meaning it can be written as a fraction a/b where a and b are integers and b ≠ 0. Then, we can cube both sides of the equation to get 2 = a^3/b^3. This means that a^3 = 2b^3. Since 2 is a prime number, it can only be factored as 2 x 1 or 1 x 2. However, no matter how we factor 2b^3, the resulting factors will not be equal to a^3. This contradicts our assumption that the cuberoot of 2 is rational, thus proving that it is irrational.

3. Can we use the rational root theorem to prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational?

No, the rational root theorem only applies to polynomials with integer coefficients. Since the cuberoot of 2 is not a polynomial, this theorem cannot be used to prove its irrationality.

4. Is the cuberoot of 2 the only irrational number with a perfect cube root?

No, there are infinitely many irrational numbers with a perfect cube root. Some examples include the cuberoot of 3, the cuberoot of 5, and the cuberoot of 7. In fact, for any prime number p, the cuberoot of p will be irrational.

5. Can we use a calculator to determine if the cuberoot of 2 is irrational?

No, a calculator can only provide us with an approximation of the cuberoot of 2. It cannot prove its irrationality. A proof requires logical reasoning and mathematical principles.