Calculating Power Dissipation in a Parallel Circuit with Multiple Resistors

In summary, the circuit shown in the drawing consists of a 10V battery and resistors of 3 ohms, 2 ohms, 1 ohm, and 8 ohms connected in parallel. The total current is 0.381A, and the voltage after the 3 ohm resistor is 1.143V. The current at the 8 ohm resistor is 3.3A, and the power dissipated at this resistor is 3.81W. To solve the problem, the resistors should be combined in simple series and parallel equivalents. The final equivalent values are 5.25 ohms and 2.25 ohms, connected in series and parallel respectively. The total current
buckeyes
Determine the power dissipated in the 8.0 resistor in the circuit shown in the drawing. (R1 = 3.0 , R2 = 8.0 and V1 = 10 V.)

in the picture a 3 ohm resistor is connected in circuit and resistors 2ohms, 1ohm, 1ohm, and 8ohms are all connected in parallel to each other. all are connected to a 10v battery ( i think i attached the picture )

Attachments

• physics.gif
    physics.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
ok here is what i tried...
i found the total I to be .381 i did that by adding 1/2+1/1+1/1+1/8=1/2.625=.381
next, i found the voltage after the 3ohm resistor. i did that by V=IR (.381)(3ohms)=1.143
then i found the current at the 8ohm resistor. I=v/r (10/3)=3.3
then, since the voltage across the parallel is the same i found the power at the 8ohm resistor P=VI (1.143)(3.3)=3.81
but that is wrong. where did i mess up?

Do all series equivalents.
Then do all parallel equivalents.
If, as an intermediate step, you wind up two in series, do that equivalent as soon as you can.
Keep units in your calculations.

so i add up 3 2 and 1 then 8 and 1 and get two resistors in parallel (6 and 9 ohms). then do i use the same equations as i did before?

No, I should been more specific and said simple series. The 3 Ohm is in series with the network not just the 2 Ohm and 1 Ohm. Try again.

so would i add up the resistors in parallel so that i ended up with two resistors in circuit first then add the two in circuit?

No. You have a 2 Ohm and a 1 Ohm in simple series. Combine them. What do you get? Are there any others in simple series?

8 and 1?

Yep. So now you have a 1 Ohm and a 2 Ohm combined in simple series. What is their equivalent value?

And, you have a 8 Ohm and a 1 Ohm combined in a simple series. What is their equivalent value.

How are the two equivalents arranged (series or parallel)? How would you combine them?

3 ohm and 9 ohm connected in parallel. i add them 1/3+1/9=1/.444=2.25ohms. then i would add the other 3 ohm resistor to that giving me 5.25. now i have only one resistor. now i can find total I. right?

You got it. Good work!

Hey, I am having trouble with this almost identical question. What do you do after you find the total current?

You have to find the current that is traveling through the 8ohm resistor afterward right? How would I do that.

Then to get power it would just be the current traveling through the 8ohm resistor times the (total voltage - voltage of 3ohm reistor)?

Help please, very urgent!

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In series circuits, the components are connected one after the other, forming a single pathway for the current to flow. In parallel circuits, the components are connected in separate branches, providing multiple pathways for the current to flow.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each individual resistance and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. In other words, 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

3. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit when you add more resistors?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit decreases as you add more resistors. This is because adding more pathways for the current to flow in decreases the overall resistance in the circuit.

4. Can you have a combination of series and parallel circuits?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel circuits in a larger circuit. This is known as a complex circuit and can be analyzed by breaking it down into smaller series and parallel parts.

5. How does increasing voltage affect a parallel circuit?

Increasing voltage in a parallel circuit does not affect the total resistance, but it does increase the total current as more voltage is applied to each individual branch. This can lead to an increase in power consumption and potential overheating of components.