Why is kinetic energy NOT proportional to degrees F/C

In summary, the conversation discusses why kinetic energy is not proportional to degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius, and instead is related to absolute zero Kelvin. The formula for kinetic energy is derived and simplified using the ideal gas law and Boltzmann's constant, resulting in the conclusion that kinetic energy is proportional to the square root of temperature. This information is requested in regards to a problem that the individual needs to solve by tomorrow.
babacanoosh
Hello all,
I have a question, that regards a problem I was assigned. The problem is:

Why is kinetic energy NOT proportional to degrees F/C?

-I understand it has something to do with absolute zero Kelivn...not C. Thanks

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I need a response by tomorrow. Thanks again

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]PV = \frac{1}{3}Nmv_{rms}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]PV = nRT[/tex]

Therefore:
[tex]\frac{1}{3}Nmv_{rms}^{2} = nRT[/tex]

Rearranging:
[tex]v_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{3nRT}{Nm}} [/tex]

Since [tex] N = nN_{a}[/tex] and [tex]R = kN_{a}[/tex] it can be simplified to:

[tex]v_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{3nN_{a}kT}{nN_{a}m}} = \sqrt{\frac{3kT}{m}} [/tex]

Therefore:
[tex] v_{rms}\propto \sqrt{T}[/tex]

EDIT: Similar looking results are found if you doing the same with Boltzmann curves or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Hi there,

Kinetic energy is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object. Degrees Fahrenheit (F) and degrees Celsius (C) are units of temperature, which is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

While it is true that absolute zero, which is 0 Kelvin, represents the absence of any kinetic energy, the relationship between kinetic energy and temperature is not directly proportional. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of all the particles in a substance, while kinetic energy is a measure of the energy of a single object.

Additionally, the conversion between degrees F/C and Kelvin is not a simple linear relationship, as the zero points for each scale are different. F and C both have a zero point of the freezing point of water, while Kelvin has a zero point of absolute zero. This means that the same change in temperature in F/C may not result in the same change in kinetic energy as in Kelvin.

I hope this helps clarify why kinetic energy is not directly proportional to degrees F/C. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your assignment!

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity that depends on the mass and velocity of the object.

Why is kinetic energy not proportional to degrees F/C?

Kinetic energy is not proportional to degrees F/C because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while kinetic energy is dependent on the velocity of an object. These two concepts are not directly related.

Can kinetic energy be converted into degrees F/C?

No, kinetic energy cannot be converted into degrees F/C because they are not equivalent units of measurement. Kinetic energy is measured in joules, while degrees F/C are measures of temperature.

How does temperature affect kinetic energy?

Temperature does not directly affect the kinetic energy of an object. However, an increase in temperature can cause objects to move faster, resulting in an increase in their kinetic energy.

Is there a relationship between kinetic energy and degrees F/C?

No, there is no direct relationship between kinetic energy and degrees F/C. While an increase in temperature can result in an increase in an object's kinetic energy, the two are not directly proportional and cannot be used interchangeably.