Space-Like Intervals: Can Events Effect Each Other?

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    intervals
In summary, the interval between two events in a spacelike universe is the same as the distance between the events. This means that the two events cannot affect each other, and that no observer can observe both events.
Ed Quanta
So if the interval between two events is spacelike, does that mean that the two events cannot effect each other? Does that also mean that no observer can observe both events?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ed Quanta said:
So if the interval between two events is spacelike, does that mean that the two events cannot effect each other?
Yes.

Ed Quanta said:
Does that also mean that no observer can observe both events?
If you mean by observe the reception of light signals originating from such an event then some observers will be able to observe both events. Just be aware that the reception of light signals originated from an event, which is by itself an event, is not the same as the observed event.

Last edited:
Hello MeJennifer.

Quote:-

---If you mean by observe the reception of light signals originating from such an event then some observers will be able to observe both events.-----

If only some observers can see both events doesn't this imply that there can be an event that some observers never see ? I note your caveat about the difference between the reception of light from an event and the event itself and assume it is relevant but the relevance is not understood by me.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Hello MeJennifer.

Quote:-

---If you mean by observe the reception of light signals originating from such an event then some observers will be able to observe both events.-----

If only some observers can see both events doesn't this imply that there can be an event that some observers never see ? I note your caveat about the difference between the reception of light from an event and the event itself and assume it is relevant but the relevance is not understood by me.

Matheinste.
Consider for instance FRW spacetimes where some observers will forever be outside the future light cone of the event in question.

Hello MeJennifer.

Thanks for your reply. I have not yet learned about FRW spacetimes so this is unfortunately lost on me as yet. Is the OP at such a level of understanding.

Matheinste.

1. What are space-like intervals?

Space-like intervals are a measure of distance in spacetime between two events that are separated by space, meaning they occur at different locations in space at the same time.

2. How are space-like intervals calculated?

Space-like intervals are calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the distance is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the spatial and temporal distances between the two events.

3. Can events within a space-like interval affect each other?

No, events within a space-like interval cannot affect each other. This is because they are separated by space and occur at the same time, making it impossible for any kind of causal connection to exist between them.

4. What is the significance of space-like intervals?

Space-like intervals play a crucial role in understanding the relationship between events in spacetime. They help us understand the concept of causality and how events can or cannot affect each other based on their spatial and temporal separation.

5. How do space-like intervals relate to the theory of relativity?

Space-like intervals are a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity, as they are used to define the geometry of spacetime and determine the relationships between events. The theory of relativity also states that the speed of light is constant and that nothing can travel faster than it, which has implications for the calculation and interpretation of space-like intervals.