Conventional square and triangular LEDs

In summary, LEDs are less efficient than traditional square or triangular LEDs. This is because rectangular LEDs have a lower efficiency because they emit more light back into the LED.
greynoon
Could someone please differentiate this to me? "Why Conventional square LEDs are less efficient than triangular LEDs.

If any of you guys could help me out, or point me in the right direction, it would be a great help!

Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
greynoon said:
Could someone please differentiate this to me? "Why Conventional square LEDs are less efficient than triangular LEDs.

If any of you guys could help me out, or point me in the right direction, it would be a great help!

Thank you in advance!

Yikes. I have an idea, but I need to know if this is a homework/coursework question first. We handle posts differently if they are for homework/coursework.

What is the context of the question? What are your thoughts on it so far? What factors go into the efficiency of an LED, from electrical energy to the final light energy that makes it out into the air?

berkeman said:
Yikes. I have an idea, but I need to know if this is a homework/coursework question first. We handle posts differently if they are for homework/coursework.

What is the context of the question? What are your thoughts on it so far? What factors go into the efficiency of an LED, from electrical energy to the final light energy that makes it out into the air?

This question i asked is neither coursework nor homework. I came along this question after perusing on some past year assignments which really triggered me. I just want to have a knowledge of the diffrences in the LEDs.
My thoughts so far are: It has something to do with total internal reflection or snells law!

greynoon said:
My thoughts so far are: It has something to do with total internal reflection or snells law!

That was my thought as well. The most efficient would be the rounded top traditional LED shape (that's why they are round in the first place). To contrast the square and triangular shapes, you'd need to do some 3-D ray tracing to see what the exit path options looked like.

Substrates that are transparent to the emitted wavelength, and backed by a reflective layer, and light spreading layer, increase the LED efficiency. The refractive index of the package material should match the index of the semiconductor, otherwise the produced light gets partially reflected back into the semiconductor, where it may be absorbed and turned into additional heat, thus lowering the efficiency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED#Light_extraction"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the differences between square and triangular LEDs?

The main difference between square and triangular LEDs is their shape. Square LEDs have a square shape, while triangular LEDs have a triangular shape. Additionally, square LEDs tend to have a larger light emitting area, while triangular LEDs have a more focused beam of light.

2. What are the advantages of using square LEDs?

Square LEDs have a larger light emitting area, which means they can produce a brighter light and cover a larger area. They also have a more uniform distribution of light, making them ideal for applications where even lighting is important, such as in displays or signage.

3. Are square and triangular LEDs interchangeable?

No, square and triangular LEDs are not interchangeable. The shape of the LED affects the direction and distribution of the light it emits. Therefore, they are designed for different purposes and cannot be used interchangeably.

4. Can conventional square and triangular LEDs be used for outdoor lighting?

Yes, both square and triangular LEDs can be used for outdoor lighting. However, square LEDs are more commonly used for outdoor lighting as they have a larger light emitting area and can produce a brighter light, making them more suitable for outdoor applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using conventional square and triangular LEDs?

One limitation of conventional square and triangular LEDs is their relatively low efficiency compared to other types of LEDs. This means they may consume more energy and may not be as cost-effective in the long run. Additionally, their shape limits the direction and distribution of light, so they may not be suitable for all lighting applications.