Proof of a commutator algebra exp(A)exp(B)=exp(B)exp(A)exp([A,B])

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up!In summary, the formula states that if A and B are two numbers, then e^Ae^B is equal to e^Be^Ae^{[A,B]}
ismaili
I want to prove this formula
[tex]e^Ae^B = e^Be^Ae^{[A,B]}[/tex]
The only method I can come up with is expand the LHS, and try to move all the B's to the left of all the A's, but it is so complicated in this way. i.e.
[tex]e^Ae^B=\frac{A^n}{n!}\frac{B^m}{m!} = \frac{1}{n!m!}\Big(A^{n-1}BAB^{m-1} + A^{n-1}[A,B]B^{m-1} \Big)= \cdots[/tex]
Is there any good way of proof of this formula?
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
ismaili said:
I want to prove this formula
The only method I can come up with is expand the LHS, and try to move all the B's to the left of all the A's, but it is so complicated in this way.

Hi ismaili! :smile:

Yes … too complicated! … :biggrin:

so don't try to handle them all at once …

pick 'em off one at a time! :wink:

Hint: AeB = … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ismaili! :smile:

Yes … too complicated! … :biggrin:

so don't try to handle them all at once …

pick 'em off one at a time! :wink:

Hint: AeB = … ? :smile:

Hi
Thanks!
By using [tex][A,e^B] = [A,B]e^B[/tex] where I forgot to say that [tex][A,B] = \text{c-number}[/tex] here, I can prove the identity right now.
Just back from the swimming pool, I will post my derivation later.

Cheers

If we set

[tex]
A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \\ \end{array}\right),\quad\quad
B=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Then we get

[tex]
[A,B] = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
e^A = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \\ \end{array}\right ),\quad\quad
e^B = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \\ \end{array}\right),\quad\quad
e^{[A,B]} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} e & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-1} \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
e^A e^B = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
e^B e^A = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 \\ \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc} e & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-1} \\ \end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc} e & e^{-1} \\ e & 2e^{-1} \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

So that formula doesn't seem to be correct. Where have you found it?

I just recalled a distant memory... according to which we are supposed to assume [A,[A,B]] = 0 = [B,[A,B]] with this formula? Could this be the case? Anyway, if you don't find mistake in my example, we will need to assume something for sure.

jostpuur said:
If we set

[tex]
A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \\ \end{array}\right),\quad\quad
B=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Then we get

[tex]
[A,B] = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Where have you found it?

Sorry that I forgot to say that formula holds when [tex][A,B][/tex] is a c-number.
I met this formula in Green and Witten's string theory book.
One of the derivation which I just found and benefit from Tim's hint is as follows.
We first calculate [tex][A,e^B] = [A,B]e^B[/tex].
Then, we found
[tex]A^ie^B = e^BA^i + ie^BA^{i-1}[A,B] + C^i_2e^BA^{i-2}[A,B]^2 + \cdots[/tex]
Hence, we can see that

I see. Actually you mentioned that in the next post, but I wasn't reading anything else than the first post carefully.

1. What is a commutator algebra?

A commutator algebra is a mathematical structure that involves the study of the commutator operation, which is defined as the difference between the product of two elements and the product of the same elements in reverse order. In simpler terms, it looks at how the order of operations affects the outcome of a mathematical expression.

2. What is the significance of the equation "exp(A)exp(B)=exp(B)exp(A)exp([A,B])"?

This equation is known as the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula and it plays a crucial role in the study of Lie algebras, which are mathematical structures that involve vector spaces and the operations of addition and multiplication. This formula helps in understanding the relationship between the exponential of two elements and their commutator.

3. How is this equation used in scientific research?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula has many applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of quantum systems, such as in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. It also has important implications in the study of symmetry groups and their representations.

4. Can you provide an example of how this equation is applied in real-world situations?

One example is in the study of quantum computing, where the commutator algebra is used to analyze the behavior of quantum gates and circuits. The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is then used to simplify complex quantum operations and make them more efficient.

5. Are there any other important properties or identities related to this equation?

Yes, there are several other identities and properties related to the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, such as the Jacobi identity and the Campbell-Baker-Hausdorff-Dynkin formula. These play a crucial role in the study of Lie algebras and their applications in mathematics and science.