Turning Force vs. Accelerating Force

In summary: You apply a turning force to an object which doesn't act through the center of gravity. This causes the object to rotate.
thepopasmurf
If I have a sphere (or another 3D object) and I apply a force to it through the centre of gravity, it will accelerate according to F=ma
If I apply a force to the sphere which doesn't act through the centre of gravity, I apply a turning force according to T=F*d

How do you figure out how much the body as a whole accelerates when you apply a turning force to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
thepopasmurf said:
If I have a sphere (or another 3D object) and I apply a force to it through the centre of gravity, it will accelerate according to F=ma
If I apply a force to the sphere which doesn't act through the centre of gravity, I apply a turning force according to T=F*d

How do you figure out how much the body as a whole accelerates when you apply a turning force to it?
Simply apply Newton's second law and well as the rotational equation of motion. Newton's second law is still valid even if a the force is not applied through the COM of the body.

But does applying a force to the edge of an object have the same accelerating effect?
I imagine that a glancing blow won't move an object as much as a force acting through the COM

thepopasmurf said:
But does applying a force to the edge of an object have the same accelerating effect?
Yes, it does. It seems a bit counterintuitive, but that's how things work. This has been very well tested -- e.g., in spacecraft .

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct.

thepopasmurf said:
That is counter-intuitive. So, on this diagram, all three equal magnitude forces will accelerate the block the same amount in the same direction? (And two will cause it to rotate?)http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/32/forcesre1.th.jpg
The forces are the same, but not the power. The forces that that cause rotation (angular acceleration) have to be applied at a faster rate of acceleration, at faster speed, and longer distance, so more work (force times distance) is done for the forces that cause rotation, which is why the power is higher, and the total energy, linear and angular, is increased more by the forces that also cause rotation (angular acceleration).

Last edited by a moderator:
How is that thread related at all? That thread is about particles: Point masses. This thread is about what happens to a non-point mass object subject to a force that does not pass through the object's center of mass.

This question is related to my above question. Friction doesn't act through the center of mass, but then where on a free body diagram do you place the force which keeps the object (say a block) from spinning?

1. What is the difference between turning force and accelerating force?

Turning force, also known as torque, is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. Accelerating force, on the other hand, is a force that causes an object to change its velocity or speed. While both forces can cause motion, turning force specifically affects rotational motion while accelerating force affects linear motion.

2. How are turning force and accelerating force related?

Turning force and accelerating force are related through the concept of angular momentum. When an object is rotating, its angular momentum is determined by its mass, shape, and rotational speed. Accelerating force can affect the object's angular momentum by changing its rotational speed, which in turn affects its turning force.

3. Can an object have both turning force and accelerating force acting on it?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have both turning force and accelerating force acting on it at the same time. This can occur when an object is undergoing both rotational and linear motion, such as a spinning top moving across a surface. In this case, both forces are necessary to describe the motion of the object.

4. How do we measure the strength of turning force and accelerating force?

The strength of turning force is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm), while the strength of accelerating force is measured in units of Newtons (N). Both forces can be measured using a variety of tools, such as force sensors, torque sensors, or dynamometers.

5. What are some real-world examples of turning force and accelerating force?

Examples of turning force include the force exerted by a wrench to turn a bolt, the force applied by a motor to rotate a wheel, or the force of gravity on a spinning top. Examples of accelerating force include the force applied by a car's engine to accelerate it forward, the force of friction on a sliding object, or the force of a rocket's thrusters to propel it into space.