Design Regulated Dual Supply w/uA78L05 for Research Project

In summary, the conversation discussed the design of a Regulated Dual Supply for multiple opamps. The circuit diagram found in the Texas Instruments datasheet for uA78L05 was considered, but modifications were needed to fit the required +/- 5V supply. It was suggested to substitute the uA78L15 and uA79L15 with their 5V counterparts and to reduce the input voltages to +/- 8V to avoid heat dissipation issues. The capacitor values were not deemed critical and the current requirements of the op amps were discussed. Additional decoupling and bulk capacitors were recommended for stability. The use of a 7.4V battery as a power supply was also mentioned, with a caution to monitor its voltage
gaganaut
I am trying to build an opamp array to amplify some voltages simultaneously. The amplification part has been designed. But now I am trying to design a Regulated Dual Supply for all the opamps.

I found this circuit diagram in the Texas Instruments datasheet for uA78L05. This diagram shows an elaborate circuit, but this is for +/- 15V supply. I need a +/- 5V supply.

So can we just substitute the uA78L15 and uA79L15 with their 5V counterparts uA78L05 and uA79L05? Also will the capacitor in this circuit be retained or they need to be changed too?

I need to this for a research project and I have no Elec. background :(
I hope you peeps will be helpful as always.

Thanks

Attachments

• 15V regulated supply.JPG
    15V regulated supply.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 438
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, that would be the correct substitution. You can also reduce the input voltages down to +/-8V or so if you want. Be sure to calculate the power dissipation in the regulators, to see if you will need heat sinks or larger physical packages.

Try to keep the input voltage in the range defined in the specs. For example for x05 it is 7...20 V and with x15 17,5...30 V.

the capacitor values are probably not that critical. i don't ever remember seeing a justification for the values chosen. i would definitely bring that input voltage down as suggested above, because otherwise, those regulators will be big heat radiators. i wouldn't get too close to the spec, though. berkeman's suggestion of 8 is probably good, but no more than 10.

and don't forget to check the current requirements of all your op amps to be sure your regulators and power source can handle it.

berkeman said:
Yes, that would be the correct substitution. You can also reduce the input voltages down to +/-8V or so if you want. Be sure to calculate the power dissipation in the regulators, to see if you will need heat sinks or larger physical packages.

Thanks Berkeman. That was helpful. I am planning to use a 7.4V LiPo for powering up. So that fits perfectly to your suggestion.

misgfool said:
Try to keep the input voltage in the range defined in the specs. For example for x05 it is 7...20 V and with x15 17,5...30 V.

Thanks Misgfool. The input range for the regulators, as you pointed out, is 7-20V for uA78L05. I am going to use a 7.4V LiPo, so it will be well within limits.

Proton Soup said:
the capacitor values are probably not that critical. i don't ever remember seeing a justification for the values chosen. i would definitely bring that input voltage down as suggested above, because otherwise, those regulators will be big heat radiators. i wouldn't get too close to the spec, though. berkeman's suggestion of 8 is probably good, but no more than 10.

and don't forget to check the current requirements of all your op amps to be sure your regulators and power source can handle it.

Thanks Proton Soup. I could not find the explanation for the capacitors as well. Practically speaking, as you say, they should not make any difference as they will do their charging-discharging business in any case. But a quick corroboration from you was helpful.

With regards to the current rating of the op amps, each takes in 1.4mA typ. But I am using 128 of them, 64 for amplification and 64 for filtering. So that way current rating should not be a problem. I just need to change the fan-out now to be sure of being able to do this.

Thanks all for your help.

gaganaut said:
Thanks Proton Soup. I could not find the explanation for the capacitors as well. Practically speaking, as you say, they should not make any difference as they will do their charging-discharging business in any case.

The caps will be mentioned in the voltage regulator datasheets. Some regulators require some minimum amount of output capacitance in order to guarantee stability (Low-Dropout LDO regulators typically have a minimum output C requirement). The jellybean regulators that you are talking about using don't have this requirement, but I believe the datasheet says something about the 0.1uF caps (or larger) helping transient response or something similar.

You should be sure to decouple each opamp's power pins to ground at each IC, and add a few bulk electrolytic caps sprinkled around the assembly.

BTW, when you mention a 7.4V power supply, you mean +/-7.4V, right? Why such an unusual number?

berkeman said:
The caps will be mentioned in the voltage regulator datasheets. Some regulators require some minimum amount of output capacitance in order to guarantee stability (Low-Dropout LDO regulators typically have a minimum output C requirement). The jellybean regulators that you are talking about using don't have this requirement, but I believe the datasheet says something about the 0.1uF caps (or larger) helping transient response or something similar.

You should be sure to decouple each opamp's power pins to ground at each IC, and add a few bulk electrolytic caps sprinkled around the assembly.

BTW, when you mention a 7.4V power supply, you mean +/-7.4V, right? Why such an unusual number?

Actually, I did find some information about decoupling caps in the datasheet. They need to be 0.1uF.

Regarding the battery, I have a =/1 7.4V battery and it was picked up off the shelf. Actually, one of my labmates ordered 4 of these and I an planning to just use these to save some moolah.

Thanks

batteries should be great in the sense that power supply noise is low and you can keep things isolated. but keep an eye on that battery voltage as they discharge. the datasheet is recommending 7V and at 6.7V it may fail to operate correctly.

What is a Design Regulated Dual Supply?

A Design Regulated Dual Supply is a circuit design that uses two power supplies to provide a stable and regulated voltage output. This is often used in electronic devices to ensure that the voltage remains constant and within a specific range, regardless of any fluctuations in the input voltage.

What is the purpose of using a Dual Supply in a research project?

The use of a Dual Supply in a research project allows for a more precise and controlled voltage output, which can be crucial in conducting experiments and collecting accurate data. It also helps to protect the electronic components from potential damage caused by fluctuations in the input voltage.

What is uA78L05?

uA78L05 is a type of voltage regulator that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is a low-power, three-terminal positive voltage regulator that can provide a fixed output voltage of 5 volts. It is often used in conjunction with a Dual Supply to regulate the voltage output.

How does a Design Regulated Dual Supply work?

The Design Regulated Dual Supply works by using two power supplies, one positive and one negative, to provide a stable voltage output. The positive supply is used to power the electronic components, while the negative supply is used to regulate the voltage output. The voltage regulator, such as uA78L05, monitors the voltage output and adjusts it accordingly to maintain a constant and regulated voltage.

What are the benefits of using a Design Regulated Dual Supply?

There are several benefits to using a Design Regulated Dual Supply in a research project. It provides a stable and regulated voltage output, which is crucial for accurate data collection. It also helps to protect the electronic components from potential damage. Additionally, it allows for more precise control over the voltage output, which can be beneficial for conducting experiments and testing electronic devices.