Net Potential Energy between two Adjacent Ions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of net energy in terms of constants A, B, and n, and the interionic separation r. The solution involves finding the derivative of the net energy equation, setting it equal to zero, solving for r=ro, and substituting this value back into the original equation. The attempt at a solution involves factoring and taking the (n-1)th root of nB/A, but ultimately does not provide a simpler solution.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

The net energy is given by:

[tex]E_N=-\frac{A}{r}+\frac{B}{r^n}[/tex]

where A, B , and n are constants and r is the interionic separation. Calculate E0 in terms of A, B, and n by the following procedure:

1. find dEN/dr
2. set this expression equal to zero and solve for r=ro
3. substitute ro back into the original equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, this is more or less an algebra problem that I am stuck on:

[tex]E_N=-\frac{A}{r}+\frac{B}{r^n}[/tex]

[tex]=-Ar^{-1}+Br^{-n}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dE_N}{dr}=Ar^{-2}-nBr^{-n-1}[/tex]

[tex]0=Ar^{-2}-nBr^{-n-1}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 0=\frac{A}{r^2}-\frac{nB}{r^{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 0=\frac{Ar^{n+1}-nBr^2}{r^2*r^{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 0=Ar^{n+1}-nBr^2[/tex]

Here is where my brain melted. Any blatant errors and/or hints?

Hmmm delicious hints :smile:

• Informative
Likes Pearlo86
Physics news on Phys.org
factor it out:

[tex]0=r^2(Ar^{n-1}-nB)[/tex]

r_0=0 is nonsense, so we have:

[tex]r_0^{n-1}=\frac{nB}{A}[/tex]

Now plug this back, and you are done.. :D

Egads man! That was easy. Nice catch Thaakisfox

Except that [itex]r_0^{n-1}=\frac{nB}{A}[/itex] is not what I plug back in; I still have to solve explicitly for r which means I need to take the (n-1)th root of nB/A
right?

What am I still missing here?

If:
[tex]r=(\frac{nB}{A})^{\frac{1}{n-1}}[/tex]

then:

[tex]E_0=-\frac{A}{(\frac{nB}{A})^{\frac{1}{n-1}}}+\frac{B}{(\frac{nB}{A})^{\frac{n}{n-1}}}[/tex]

which is just silly.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Pearlo86
I am thinking that this just does not clean up any better than this; i am not sure why I assumed that it would:confused:

Likes Pearlo86

1. What is net potential energy between two adjacent ions?

The net potential energy between two adjacent ions is the sum of the attractive and repulsive forces between the ions due to their electric charges. It represents the overall stability of the interaction between the two ions.

2. How is net potential energy calculated?

Net potential energy is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect net potential energy between ions?

The net potential energy between ions is affected by the charges of the ions, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium they are in. Higher charges and closer distances result in a higher net potential energy, while a higher dielectric constant decreases the net potential energy.

4. What is the significance of net potential energy between ions?

The net potential energy between ions plays a crucial role in determining the stability of ionic compounds and their ability to form strong bonds. It also affects various properties of the compound, such as melting and boiling points, solubility, and conductivity.

5. How does net potential energy between ions relate to lattice energy?

Net potential energy between ions is directly related to lattice energy, which is the energy released when ions come together to form a crystalline lattice. Higher net potential energy between ions results in a higher lattice energy, making the compound more stable and difficult to break apart.