Finding exhaust temp in heat engine problem (entropy)

In summary, the question is asking for a summary of the content related to an ideal heat engine and its heat input, output, work, efficiency, and exhaust temperature. The given equations and attempt at a solution involve calculating work and efficiency, but the exhaust temperature portion may involve using the Carnot Cycle and comparing it with the given expression. The final temperature can be calculated using the given parameters and the efficiency formula.
aussie-girl

Homework Statement

The question is: An ideal heat engine takes in heat Q(in) at a temp T(h). It exhausts heat Q(out). So: (a) how much work is done by engine (b) what is efficiency of engine (c) what is exhaust temp of engine and (d) calculate the answers to above for heat input of 460J at a temp of 600K and heat output of 285J.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have done so far:
(a) W = Qin - Qout
(b) E = W/Qin

but (c) is the bit that confuses me! so far I have got:
deltaS = deltaQ / T = (Qin - Qout) / T(h)

now after getting the above answer for deltaS, do I now rearrange it to get T = deltaS x deltaQ and plug that answer into this equation to get the final temp?

So to use the figures supplied would look like this:

deltaS = deltaQ / T

= (460 - 285)J / 600K = 0.29 JK (not sure what the unit is here?)

now plug into:

T = deltaS x deltaQ

= 0.29 x 175J

= 51.04 (again not sure what unit?)

I'm a bit lost here - am I on the right track or waaaaaay off?

Thanks heaps.

Physics news on Phys.org
(b) You're correct here, but they might want the answer expressed in terms of the given parameters Q(in), T(h), and/or Q(out)

(c) An "ideal heat engine" generally means one that uses the Carnot Cycle. Your text-book should have a formula for the efficiency of a Carnot Cycle engine, in terms of the temperatures Th and Tc.

If you find that, you can compare it with the usual expression,

E = W / Qin

and from there figure out what the exhaust temperature is.

I would like to clarify that the exhaust temperature of an ideal heat engine cannot be calculated using only the given information. The efficiency of an ideal heat engine is defined as the ratio of the work output to the heat input, and it is given by the equation E = 1 - Qout/Qin. In order to calculate the exhaust temperature, we would need to know the specific heat capacity of the working fluid and the temperature at which the heat is rejected. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the exhaust temperature. Additionally, the units for entropy are J/K, and the units for temperature are K. I would suggest reviewing the thermodynamic principles and equations for heat engines to better understand the problem and how to approach it.

1. How do I find the exhaust temperature in a heat engine problem?

To find the exhaust temperature in a heat engine problem, you can use the formula T2 = T1 - Q/C, where T2 is the exhaust temperature, T1 is the initial temperature, Q is the heat supplied to the engine, and C is the heat capacity of the engine.

2. What is the significance of finding the exhaust temperature in a heat engine problem?

The exhaust temperature is important in a heat engine problem because it helps determine the efficiency of the engine. A higher exhaust temperature means that more energy has been converted into work, resulting in a more efficient engine.

3. How does entropy play a role in finding the exhaust temperature in a heat engine problem?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a heat engine, the exhaust temperature is affected by the entropy of the working fluid. As the fluid moves through the engine, its entropy increases, resulting in a higher exhaust temperature.

4. Can the exhaust temperature be lower than the initial temperature in a heat engine problem?

Yes, it is possible for the exhaust temperature to be lower than the initial temperature in a heat engine problem. This can happen if the engine is not operating at its maximum efficiency or if there are heat losses to the surroundings.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the exhaust temperature in a heat engine problem?

Finding the exhaust temperature in a heat engine problem is crucial in designing and improving various types of engines, such as car engines, jet engines, and power plant turbines. It is also important in analyzing and optimizing the performance of these engines.