Why do microwaves heat honey so fast?

In summary, microwaves heat things up quickly because they can absorb energy from molecules with a dipole moment. This includes things like fats and sugars, which makes food messy.
Jon M
I've noticed that honey reaches a boiling point quicker than the same amount of water. I've melted a few plastic honey containers before I learned my lesson.

Physics-wise, why is that? I thought a microwave oven targeted water molecules. I know honey is mostly water, but why does it heat up so much faster?

Science news on Phys.org
Hadn't noticed that, but it might be that water can release excess heat more easily - water is a low-viscosity fluid that can mix via convection and flash to steam.

Honey is not mostly water, it's mostly sugars. But, microwaves don't simply heat water and nothing else; they are absorbed by any molecules with a dipole moment, including fats and sugars.

negitron said:
Honey is not mostly water, it's mostly sugars. But, microwaves don't simply heat water and nothing else; they are absorbed by any molecules with a dipole moment, including fats and sugars.

I've never really understood this. Wouldn't most molecules absorb microwaves as they're just electromagnetic radiation? Or is it that many substances are transparent to microwaves? Or is the dipole heating factor simply so much more significant that it's the only thing worth considering? Elusive third option?

It's not strictly absorption in the usual electromagnetic sense; it's called dielectric heating.

The specific heat of honey is 0.54 to 0.60. If the number of vibrational modes were roughly comparable to those of water, then honey would heat twice as quickly as the same volume of water.

Things with a lot of sugar like baked beans do seem to heat very quickly and to a higher temperature in a microwave. I've got lots of plastic dishes half melted from doing beans on toast

mgb_phys said:
Things with a lot of sugar like baked beans do seem to heat very quickly and to a higher temperature in a microwave. I've got lots of plastic dishes half melted from doing beans on toast
Baked beans with bacon or salt pork (my preference) can be pretty messy in the microwave because they develop "hot spots" that pop and throw beans and juice everywhere. I have to heat our home-made baked beans on "medium" at most so that I don't have to clean the microwave. :tongue:

1. Why do microwaves heat honey so fast?

Microwaves work by emitting high-frequency electromagnetic waves that cause water molecules to vibrate and generate heat. Honey contains a high percentage of water, so it is able to absorb these waves and heat up quickly.

2. Can other foods also be heated quickly in a microwave?

Yes, any food that contains water or other polar molecules can be heated quickly in a microwave. This includes foods like soups, stews, and even fruits and vegetables.

3. How does the structure of honey contribute to its ability to heat quickly in a microwave?

Honey has a high viscosity, which means it is thick and has a high resistance to flow. This allows the microwaves to penetrate the honey easily, leading to faster heating.

4. Is it safe to heat honey in a microwave?

Yes, it is safe to heat honey in a microwave as long as the container is microwave-safe and the honey is not overheated. Overheating honey can lead to degradation of its properties and potentially harmful compounds.

5. Does the size and shape of the container affect how quickly honey heats in a microwave?

Yes, the size and shape of the container can affect how quickly honey heats in a microwave. A wider and shallower container will allow for more efficient heating compared to a tall and narrow one, as the microwaves can penetrate more easily and evenly.