Prove that the third invariant is equal to the determinant

In summary, the conversation is about using summation notation to show that det[A] can be written as 1/6 times a complicated expression involving the elements of a 3x3 matrix A. The conversation also includes some confusion about where to start and using definitions and index manipulation to simplify the expression.
blalien

Homework Statement

This is all in summation notation.
Given a 3x3 matrix [tex]A_{ij}[/tex], show that [tex]det[A]=1/6(A_{ii}A_{jj}A_{kk}+2A_{ij}A_{jk}A_{ki}-3A_{ij}A_{ji}A_{kk})[/tex]

Homework Equations

I've been told that we're supposed to begin with
[tex]det[A]=1/6\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{pqr}A_{ip}A_{jq}A_{kr}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I hate to say this, but I have no idea where to start. I would really appreciate if somebody could just give me the first step and push me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitions are often a good place to start.

Never mind, I got it. You set [tex]A_{ij} = \delta_{ij}[/tex] and get the epsilons in terms of the deltas.

blalien said:
[tex]A_{ij} = \delta_{ij}[/tex]
:confused: Why can you do that?

Well, that's not exactly right. But you can work a little index magic and come up with
[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{pqr}=\left| \begin{matrix} \delta_{ip} & \delta_{iq} & \delta_{ir} \\ \delta_{jp} & \delta_{jq} & \delta_{jr} \\ \delta_{kp} & \delta_{kq} & \delta_{kr} \end{matrix} \right|[/tex]

1. How is the third invariant related to the determinant?

The third invariant of a 3x3 matrix is equal to the determinant of that matrix. This means that the value of the third invariant is the same as the value of the determinant.

2. Why is it important to prove that the third invariant is equal to the determinant?

The third invariant and the determinant have many important applications in mathematics and physics. Proving their equality helps to establish a fundamental relationship between these two concepts and allows for the use of one in place of the other in various calculations and equations.

3. How can one prove that the third invariant is equal to the determinant?

The proof involves using the properties of determinants and the definition of the third invariant. By expanding the determinant using the Laplace expansion method and simplifying, one can show that the resulting expression is equal to the third invariant.

4. What are the implications of the third invariant being equal to the determinant?

The equality between the third invariant and the determinant allows for a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of matrices, especially 3x3 matrices. It also simplifies calculations and equations involving these two concepts.

5. Can this proof be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the proof can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 4x4 matrices. However, the relationship between the third invariant and the determinant may not hold for matrices of different dimensions.