Is pushing considered a force?

• Thread starter katamoria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: Correct?The magnitude of the push would be negative, but it would still be equal in magnitude to the force needed to counteract gravity.
katamoria

Homework Statement

A man pushes on a piano of mass 180kg so that it slides at a constant V of 12.0 cm/s down a ramp that is inclined at 11.0 degrees above the horizontal. No appreciable friction is cting on the piano. calculate the magnitude and direction of this push if the man pushes the piano up the plane instead, also at 12 cm/s parallel to the incline. if the man pushes the piano horizontally, but still with the speed of 12.0 cm/s?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already drawn the free body diagram, but i can't find anywhere what to do if the object is pushed. does the vector point toward the object, or away from the object in the direction it is being pushed?
and if V is constant, then that means no acceleration, so doesn't that mean no force in the direcion of the push? regardless of what direction the man pushes (parallel to ramp or horizontal)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to take gravity into account. If v is constant, that means there's no acceleration; that implies that gravity is negated. Since gravity is a force, it would take a contrary force of equal magnitude to negate it.

when i drew the free body diagram, i drew the axes so that they were parallel and perpendicular to the ramp. i have the normal force going along the positive y, and then gravity having components in both the negative x and negative y directions.

is that it? if there is no acceleration from the push since V is constant, and the only force that needs to be considered is gravity, then the magnitude and direction is the same going up the ramp, down the ramp, and regardless of angle of push?

When the net force acting on the piano is zero, it will move the uniform velocity.
Resolve the weight and the push into the vertical and horizontal components on the inclined plane.

Well, not completely regardless of angle of push. If there's a different angle of push, there needs to be a different magnitude to negate the acceleration due to gravity.

so push is a force acting on the object? again, on the FBD do i draw it tail at object, tip poinging away, or pointing toward object?

Pushing is a force, yes. Sorry, I never really answered that. :'D It should be pointing at the object.

ok... push is a force. it points toward the object in the direction of the push. so when i solve for the net force i get...

sin(11)/mg = (x component of gravity) where mg = 1764N
that times the mass plus the push so...

Fx = (sin(11)/1764N) + push

what is push? V isn't a force so I can't plug that in, and a = 0.

EDIT: is it really as easy as rearranging to solve for push? i think i lost sight of the point of this problem...

Once you find the components of gravity, it's pretty simple to find the magnitude of the push. Its components will simply be the opposite of gravity's.

So, for instance, if gravity's component in a given direction is a, the force needed to reconcile that component to zero is negative a. Do this for both components and you can find your resultant magnitude.

awesome, i think i got it. tyvm ^.^
you're very patient, lol.

physicsface said:
Once you find the components of gravity, it's pretty simple to find the magnitude of the push. Its components will simply be the opposite of gravity's.
Or, at least, this would be true if gravity and the push were the only forces acting on the piano.

i know there's also normal force, and in this case no friction.

1. Is pushing considered a force?

Yes, pushing is considered a force. A force is any interaction that can change the motion of an object, and pushing involves applying a force to an object in order to move it.

2. How is pushing different from pulling?

Pushing and pulling are both considered forces, but they are opposite in direction. Pushing involves applying a force away from an object, while pulling involves applying a force towards an object.

3. Can pushing be a contact or non-contact force?

Pushing can be both a contact and non-contact force. Contact forces require physical contact between two objects, such as pushing a door open. Non-contact forces, also known as remote forces, do not require physical contact, such as pushing a button on a remote control.

4. What are some examples of pushing as a force in everyday life?

Some examples of pushing as a force in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, pushing a chair in, pushing a swing, and pushing a door open. Essentially, any time you apply a force to an object in order to move it away from you, you are pushing.

5. Can pushing have both a magnitude and direction?

Yes, pushing can have both a magnitude and direction. Magnitude refers to the amount of force being applied, while direction refers to the path in which the force is being applied. For example, you can push a box with a certain amount of force in a specific direction to move it across the room.