Airy Disk Patterns: Quality Criteria

In summary: The effect of the support struts is harder to predict, but they should decrease the intensity of the Airy disk at the cost of increasing the point spread function.
Somefantastik
What criteria is used to judge the quality of an airy disk pattern?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
In what sense? In the case of telescope systems, the "best" Airy disk is one that cannot be improved further with lens design and construction, and the system is said to be diffraction-limited. Fainter stars will seem to be tiny points, compared to bright stars, but that's just because the intensity of the whole of the disk is low. Theoretically, the size of the Airy disk produced by a telescope is the same for stars of all intensities.

If you're talking about the pattern of rings around the disk, I believe that the standard (if there is such a beast) is that the quality of the Airy pattern is the highest when the disk contains the bulk of the light, the minima appear as dark rings, and the diffraction pattern is symmetrical, and the intensity of the rings falls off with distance from the disk. Are there numbers to quantify "quality" in this sense? I have no idea, but there are probably ATM forums where you could get more information than you need.

I don't think that there's a quantitative way to describe the quality of an airy disk. I was asking for when I'm in the lab and trying to optimize a system to give me the "best" airy disk. Thanks for the advice, it is helpful.

Somefantastik said:

Presumably you mean how is the point spread function of an optical instrument evaluated? The Airy disk represents the aberration-free diffraction limit for optical imaging, and so deviations from the real PSF from an Airy disk pattern is the quantitative measure of instrument quality. For more exotic optical measurements (near field methods, for example), different criteria are used.

Somefantastik said:
I don't think that there's a quantitative way to describe the quality of an airy disk. I was asking for when I'm in the lab and trying to optimize a system to give me the "best" airy disk. Thanks for the advice, it is helpful.

That's a slightly different question- are you asking how to align optical devices?

Well, aligning the system is part of the task that I'm assigned to do, but not necessarily what I am asking about. My goal is to understand how an obscuration affects the airy disk pattern.

That's also a different question: where is the obscuration? If the obscuration is in the exit pupil (like a support spider), the effect is straightforward to understand. If the obscuration is located arbitrarily in the optical path, the effect can be much more complex.

It's going to be a circular obscuration in the exit pupil (pretty mundane, I know...but it's the assignment).

I expect to see the radius of the Airy disk decrease and its principle maximum decrease value and the secondary maxima increase in value...as for the support struts, I'm not sure what I'll see but it'll be a learning experience.

The point-spread function is the Fourier transform of the field in the exit pupil- for an unobscured circular pupil, the PSF is an Airy function. Adding an obscuration is straightforward- a sum (or difference) of 'circle functions', and taking the Fourier transform of two functions added together is equally straightforward.

1. What is an Airy Disk pattern?

An Airy Disk pattern is a diffraction pattern that is created when light passes through a circular aperture or a lens. It is named after the British astronomer George Airy, who first described it in the 19th century. The pattern appears as a bright central spot surrounded by a series of concentric rings of decreasing intensity.

2. How is the quality of an Airy Disk pattern determined?

The quality of an Airy Disk pattern is determined by several criteria, including the size and shape of the central spot, the spacing and intensity of the rings, and the overall symmetry of the pattern. These factors can be quantified using mathematical calculations and imaging techniques.

3. What is the significance of the quality of an Airy Disk pattern?

The quality of an Airy Disk pattern is important because it directly affects the performance of optical systems. A high-quality pattern indicates that the system is able to accurately focus and resolve fine details, while a poor quality pattern can lead to blurry or distorted images.

4. How does the size of the aperture or lens affect the Airy Disk pattern?

The size of the aperture or lens plays a crucial role in determining the quality of the Airy Disk pattern. A larger aperture or lens will produce a smaller central spot and more tightly spaced rings, resulting in a higher quality pattern with better resolution. Conversely, a smaller aperture or lens will produce a larger central spot and more widely spaced rings, resulting in a lower quality pattern with poorer resolution.

5. Can the quality of an Airy Disk pattern be improved?

Yes, the quality of an Airy Disk pattern can be improved by using higher quality optical components, such as lenses with better surface quality and coatings to reduce diffraction and aberrations. Additionally, careful alignment and calibration of the optical system can also improve the quality of the pattern.