Differentiating a complex power series

In summary, the conversation discusses using power series to solve an ODE and how to shift the sum in order to contain all terms with z^n. It is determined that this is not cheating and is the correct approach. The importance of not forgetting constants in the sum is also mentioned.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Say f(z) = Σ(z^n), with sum from 0 to infinity

Then we can say f'(z) = Σn(z^n-1), with sum from 0 to infinity (i)

= Σn(z^n-1), with sum from 1 to infinity (as the zero-th term is 0)

= Σ(n+1)(z^n), with sum from 0 to infinity (ii)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi,

I am solving an ODE using power series, zf'(z) + af(z) = f'(z), so is it ok for me to sub in eq. (i) for the first f'(z) and eq. (ii) for the second? (This way all the terms will contain a z^n. Or is this cheating? If so, what can I do instead?)

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, no. You aren't cheating. That seems like the right way to shift the sum. Carry on.

Don't forget the constants in the sum, [tex] f(z) = \sum a_n z^n [/tex]

What is a complex power series?

A complex power series is a mathematical function that is represented as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a power of a complex variable.

How do you differentiate a complex power series?

To differentiate a complex power series, you can use the power rule which states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). You can also use the chain rule and product rule if the series is a composition of multiple functions.

What is the radius of convergence for a complex power series?

The radius of convergence for a complex power series is the distance from the center of the series to the point at which it converges. It can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

Can a complex power series converge at more than one point?

Yes, a complex power series can converge at multiple points within its radius of convergence. However, it may not necessarily converge at the endpoints of the interval.

What is the significance of differentiating a complex power series?

Differentiating a complex power series allows us to find the derivative of a function that is represented by the series. This can be useful in solving differential equations, finding critical points, and understanding the behavior of the function.