Magnetic Circuit Problem Involving a Solenoid and Plunger

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a circuit and the use of a plunger. The magnetic-electric analogy is mentioned and an equivalent electric scheme is provided. The calculation for MMF and magnetic resistances is given. The question of knowing the length of the gap and ignoring the lower part of the plunger is also addressed.
Bizkit

Homework Statement

The problem can be found http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee382/homework/382Homework1.pdf" (the last one), along with a picture of the circuit.

Homework Equations

R = l/(µS)

mmf = NI = ΨR

B = Ψ/S

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never done a problem like this before. I've looked for information and example problems to help me do it in my book and online, but I haven't found anything that can help me. The part about it that really confuses me is the use of the plunger. Does it move? If it does, how do I know what the length of the gap is? If it doesn't, do I just ignore the part of the plunger that is below the rest of the circuit because it acts like an open circuit (I don't know if that's true or not)? I was hoping someone here could help me figure out what to do. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The basics of the magnetic-electric analogy are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit"

The equivalent electric scheme for your task is attached.

The MMF is

[tex]
\varepsilon = IN
[/tex]

The magnetic resistances are

[tex]
R_1 = \frac{h - l_p - l_g}{\mu_c w^2};
[/tex]

[tex]
R_2 = \frac{2h - l_s}{\mu_c w^2};
[/tex]

[tex]
R_s = \frac{l_s}{\mu_0 w^2};
[/tex]

[tex]
R_p = \frac{l_p}{\mu_p w^2};
[/tex]

[tex]
R_g = \frac{l_g}{\mu_0 w^2}.
[/tex]

The total magnetic resistance is calculated like the corresponding electrical resistance:

[tex]
R = R_1 + \frac{R_2 + R_s}{2} + R_p + R_g.
[/tex]

Then the magnetic flux is

[tex]
\Phi = \frac{\varepsilon}{R}.
[/tex]

how do I know what the length of the gap is?
[tex] l_p[/tex] is the length of the upper part of the plunger. So there is no problem.

do I just ignore the part of the plunger that is below the rest of the circuit?
yes

Attachments

• sheme.png
    sheme.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 524
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I understand what to do now.

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit refers to a closed path or loop that allows a magnetic field to flow through it. It is made up of a magnetic material, such as iron, and can be used to guide and control the flow of magnetic flux.

2. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of magnetic circuit consisting of a coil of wire that is wound in a helical shape. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field inside the solenoid.

3. What is a plunger in a magnetic circuit?

A plunger is a piece of iron or other magnetic material that is placed inside a solenoid. It can be moved in and out of the solenoid by applying a force and is used to control the strength of the magnetic field within the solenoid.

4. How does a magnetic circuit involving a solenoid and plunger work?

In a magnetic circuit involving a solenoid and plunger, the plunger moves in and out of the solenoid as a result of the interaction between the magnetic field produced by the solenoid and the magnetic field of the plunger. This movement can be used to perform work, such as in electromechanical devices like relays and speakers.

5. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid and plunger system?

The strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid and plunger system is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, the permeability of the material used in the solenoid and plunger, and the distance between the solenoid and plunger.