Relation between torsional and linear spring constants for a cantilever beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between torsional spring constant and linear spring constant for a cantilevered beam with a force applied at the free end. The linear spring constant can be expressed in terms of moment of inertia and modulus of elasticity, and the torsional spring constant can be derived using the equation for torsion and twist for a rod. The expression for the torsional spring constant is \frac{3EI}{L}\frac{tan\theta}{\theta}, where \theta is the deflection angle. However, this only applies to a straight rod and not a coil torsional spring. Another equation for the torsional spring constant in this case is GJ/L, where G is the shear modulus, J is
rsr_life
Hello,

This should be a straight one for most of you. Given a cantilevered beam that has a force F applied across it (or at one end), causing a displacement d and deflection [tex]\theta[/tex] , what is the relationship between the torsional spring constant k[tex]_{theta}[/tex] and the linear spring constant k?

What I do know is that the linear spring constant can be expressed in terms of the moment of inertia and modulus of elasticity as follows:

k = [tex]\frac{3EI}{l^{3}}[/tex]​

I would like to know how to derive the relation between the two spring constants. In my problem, the parameters that I have are E, I, length, and [tex]\theta[/tex] .

If you could point to some website that derives this, that would be good too.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the cross-section look like? The relationship depends on this parameter.

The beam is cylindrical.

I'm trying to understand the effects that various force distributions will have on the beam: from
1) a constant force acting on the free end,
2) a force that varies both across the beam length and across space.

And other force distributions.

But simple cases first.

Do you know the equation that relates torsion and twist for a rod? It should be pretty to combine this with the cantilever deflection equation to relate the two spring constants. http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml" might be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I don't have a background in this subject. Not since freshman year in college.

The site that you linked to was good. But I'm not aware of the relationship that you mentioned.

There should be some scientific paper on this subject, if not a basic derivation, that I could use to pick up ideas from?

This level of mechanics is well established enough to appear in introductory textbooks and reference books. There's some information on the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_%28mechanics%29" , and any mechanics of materials book (e.g., Beer and Johnston) will contain the derivations. What exactly are you trying to do?

Among other things, I'm currently plotting the variation of strain energy 0.5K[tex]\theta^{2}[/tex] with the angle. But I have a limited number of parameters describing the beam, which I believe should be sufficient to get me the torsional spring constant.

Since I have the linear spring constant, I'm hoping that the torsional spring constant would pop out.

From the following page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_spring#Applications", I do have an expression, which is simply the torque divided by the deflection angle. I could substitute things along the way, to get this in terms of E, moment of inertia, linear spring constant, deflection angle.

If anybody has any other ideas, do post it here.

rsr_life said:
From the following page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_spring#Applications", I do have an expression, which is simply the torque divided by the deflection angle. I could substitute things along the way, to get this in terms of E, moment of inertia, linear spring constant, deflection angle.

Sounds good to me!

Seeing as this thread has had a large number of views, here's the expression that I finally got:

[tex]\kappa_{\theta}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3EI}{L}[/tex][tex]\frac{tan\theta}{\theta}[/tex]

The units seem to match.

This is for a cantilevered beam with a force applied at the free end.

When the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] is really small, the [tex]\frac{tan\theta}{\theta}[/tex] cancel out, leaving just [tex]\frac{3EI}{L}[/tex] in the expression.

I agreed too fast before, and without looking carefully at your link. The page you linked to describes torsional springs (coils), not a straight cantilevered rod with a torsional load on the end. If you're interested in a straight rod, I believe the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_%28mechanics%29" you're looking for is [itex]GJ/L[/itex], where G is the shear modulus, J is the torsion constant / polar moment of inertia, and L is the length.

1. What is the relationship between torsional and linear spring constants for a cantilever beam?

The torsional spring constant for a cantilever beam is directly proportional to the linear spring constant. This means that as the linear spring constant increases, so does the torsional spring constant.

2. How does the length of the cantilever beam affect the spring constants?

The length of the cantilever beam has a significant impact on both the torsional and linear spring constants. As the length increases, the spring constants decrease. This is because longer beams are more flexible and have a lower stiffness, resulting in lower spring constants.

3. Are the torsional and linear spring constants affected by the material of the cantilever beam?

Yes, the material of the cantilever beam plays a role in determining the torsional and linear spring constants. Different materials have different stiffness values, which directly affect the spring constants. For example, a steel beam will have higher spring constants than a rubber beam of the same size and shape.

4. How do the boundary conditions of the cantilever beam impact the spring constants?

The boundary conditions, such as fixed or simply supported, affect the torsional and linear spring constants for a cantilever beam. Fixed boundary conditions result in higher spring constants compared to simply supported boundary conditions. This is because fixed boundary conditions restrict the movement of the beam, making it stiffer and resulting in higher spring constants.

5. Can the torsional and linear spring constants be calculated or do they need to be measured?

The torsional and linear spring constants can be calculated using the dimensions and material properties of the cantilever beam. However, in order to get an accurate measurement, it is recommended to conduct experiments and measure the spring constants directly. This will also account for any imperfections or variations in the material or dimensions of the beam.