Fractal dimension of the universe = 2?

In summary: In other words, what we see might occupy a volume that corresponds to a fractal dimension slightly smaller than 3, but it might actually be embedded in a much larger structure that has dimension 3.In summary, the fractal dimension of the universe is estimated to be "about 2" which means it falls within the range of 2 to 3. This estimation is based on the visible part of the universe and is subject to change depending on the inclusion of the non-visible parts. This range is determined by a theorem of fractal geometry which states that the dimension of a fractal in 3D space is bounded from above by 2 when estimated from the visible part.
sbrothy
Gold Member
(Maybe this should go under General Math or maybe even Topology but since it's about the dimension of the universe I'll put it here. Feel free to move it.)

I've had too much coffee and on one my frequent wiki binges - reading about life, the universe and everything - I've come up with a question, the answer to which I'm probably not going to understand. Here goes anyway:

Various sources lists the fractal dimension of the universe to be "about 2" (e.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_cosmology).

What is meant by "about 2" and which definition of dimension is used here? Does "about 2" mean above or below 2?

From reading a little about fractal dimensions I realize that there seems to be different definitions as to what a fractal dimension is, but the one I'm (vaguely) familiar with seems to be Hausdorff's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fractals_by_Hausdorff_dimension).

Using this definition a coastline for example, can be said to be one dimensional object "aspiring" to fill out the second dimension which would give it a Hausdorff dimension somewhere between 1 and 2. Similarly, A "menger sponge" can be seen as a 2 dimensional object "apsiring" to fill out the third making it somewhere between 2D and 3D.

Following this logic I'm not entirely sure if I would expect the universe to have a dimension between 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 (?), but definitely not 2.

What gives? I'm not asking for a mathematical treatise mind you. It just puzzles me...

Regards.

Space news on Phys.org
Hi,

I accidentally found this old thread and noticed nobody had replied to the question posed.
I am not a cosmologist and I have only a basic knowledge of fractals. However it seems to me that your observations are correct, and you do have big reasons to be puzzled by the statement that the dimension of the universe is [itex]D\approx 2[/itex] (slightly lower than 2).
Personally, I would have rised the same questions as you did.

Loosely speaking, it turns out that the fractal dimension of the universe that was estimated in the articles cited by Wikipedia relied on the visible part of the Universe. For example, an observed galaxy might hide many other galaxies that won't be taken into account in the calculations.

"mpej.unige.ch/~eckmann/ps_files/jarvenpaa2.ps"[/URL] investigated how much influence the non visible part of the universe has when estimating its Fractal dimension. They came up with a theorem of fractal geometry that essentially states that if you have a fractal of dimension [I]>2[/I] in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] and you try to estimate its dimension from the "visible part" seen from an arbitrary point, then your estimation is [U]bounded from above by 2[/U].

That essentially means that the Universe as we know it, might well have any fractal dimension in the range [2,3].

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the meaning of "fractal dimension of the universe = 2"?

The fractal dimension of the universe refers to the measure of how the structure of the universe repeats itself on different scales. A value of 2 indicates a self-similar or fractal structure, where patterns and structures are similar at different levels of magnification.

How is the fractal dimension of the universe calculated?

The calculation of the fractal dimension of the universe is a complex process that involves analyzing data from various sources such as cosmic microwave background radiation, galaxy distributions, and large-scale structure of the universe. This data is then used to create a three-dimensional map, which is then analyzed using mathematical algorithms to determine the fractal dimension.

What implications does a fractal dimension of 2 have on our understanding of the universe?

A fractal dimension of 2 suggests that the universe has a self-similar structure, meaning that the same patterns and structures are repeated on different scales. This challenges the traditional understanding of the universe as a homogeneous and isotropic entity and raises questions about the underlying laws and principles governing its evolution.

Can the fractal dimension of the universe change over time?

It is currently not known if the fractal dimension of the universe can change over time. Some theories suggest that it may evolve as the universe expands and structures form, while others propose that it may remain constant. More research and data are needed to determine if and how the fractal dimension of the universe changes.

How does the fractal dimension of the universe relate to other cosmological theories?

The fractal dimension of the universe is a concept that is still being explored and studied. It is not yet fully incorporated into other cosmological theories, but it has the potential to provide new insights and perspectives on our understanding of the universe, particularly in relation to its structure, evolution, and underlying principles.