Atwood Machine and the Work done

In summary, we have an Atwood machine with two blocks, weighing 2kg and 3kg respectively. After being released from rest, the work done by gravity during the fourth second can be calculated by finding the displacement during that time and using the formula for work, taking into account the different signs for the work done on each block. The net work done turns out to be 67 joules.
animesh27194
The two block in an atwood machine have masses 2kg and 3kg. Find the work done by gravity during the fourth second after the system is released from rest.I have attached my attempt here..Kindly tell me where I went wrong.
I am sure that I didnt go anywhere wrong in finding the acceleration and the displacement. But, I am doubtful abt the work done part. The answer is coming out to be 67 joules. :confused:

Attachments

• Photo-0001.jpg
    Photo-0001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 824
Physics news on Phys.org
animesh27194 said:
Find the work done by gravity during the fourth second after the system is released from rest.
What's the displacement during the fourth second? (That's from t1 = 3 s to t2 = 4 s.)

Also realize that one mass moves up while the other moves down, so the work done on each will have a different sign. Presumably, you want the net work done?

Last edited:
ooooh! I am so sorry...! THat's a silly mistake..! :P

See also the comment I added to my last post.

THanks a lot! I understood the concept... :)

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of mechanical work and energy.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

An Atwood Machine works by utilizing the force of gravity to create a difference in tension in the string connecting the two masses. This difference in tension causes the masses to accelerate towards each other.

3. What is the formula for calculating work done in an Atwood Machine?

The formula for calculating work done in an Atwood Machine is W = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two masses. Alternatively, the formula can also be written as W = Fd, where F is the force and d is the distance traveled.

4. How is the work done in an Atwood Machine affected by different masses?

The work done in an Atwood Machine is directly proportional to the mass of the system. This means that as the masses increase, the work done also increases. However, the work done is also affected by the height difference between the masses and the amount of friction present in the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of Atwood Machines?

Atwood Machines have several practical applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and other lifting mechanisms. They are also used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as work, energy, and conservation of momentum. In addition, Atwood Machines can be used to measure the strength of gravity in different locations by observing the acceleration of the masses.