Pro Eng Wildfire & AutoCAD: Engineers' Opinions

• Thread starter i_wish_i_was_smart
  • Start date
In summary, engineers use different programs depending on the type of design they are working on. Pro-Engineer is commonly used for parts and mechanisms, while AutoCAD is used for building and civil designs. Some find AutoCAD easier for space planning, but not for 3D designs. Solid Edge is also a popular solid modeling program. Engineers recommend avoiding the program 'ideas' and using the unix-based version if necessary. Pro Eng W is considered one of the best with its built-in analysis tools and integrated features. Overall, engineers have different opinions on which program is better, but it ultimately depends on the specific project and personal preference.
i_wish_i_was_smart
now that i am in eng school, I'm learning to draft and to do it in pro eng autocad, in my opinion both remarkable programs its amazing, anyways i wanted to know engineers thoughts on those programs, advantages disadvantages of both, and how they compare in your eyes

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what you're designing.

Pro-Engineer is used for design of parts and mechanisms.

AutoCAD is used for building and civil designs (and other large scale projects)

I also find that AutoCAD is easier to do space planning for big assemblies, but don't waste your time doing anything 3-d in it.

'solid edge' is also a great intuitive solid modelling program

whatever you do, try to stay away from 'ideas'.. and if you have to use it.. use the unix based version (it'll still make your brain bleed)

pro eng W is prolly one of the best.. especially since you have all the analysis tools built right into it and at least, i think, integrated quite well

As Falcon, I use Solid Edge for 3D, and AutoCAD for 2D.

To say the truth, I had a lot of headaches trying to learn how the hell AutoCAD works. It seems to be alive!.

1. What are the main differences between Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD?

Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD are both computer-aided design (CAD) software used by engineers for designing and creating technical drawings. However, there are a few key differences between the two programs.

Firstly, Pro Eng Wildfire is a parametric solid modeling software, meaning it allows engineers to create 3D models by defining geometric parameters such as dimensions and relationships between parts. AutoCAD, on the other hand, is a 2D drafting software, used primarily for creating 2D technical drawings.

Additionally, Pro Eng Wildfire has advanced features such as simulation and analysis tools, while AutoCAD is more focused on precise drafting and detailing. Pro Eng Wildfire also has a larger library of standard parts and components compared to AutoCAD.

2. Which software is better for engineering projects?

This ultimately depends on the specific needs of the project and the preferences of the engineer. Pro Eng Wildfire may be better suited for large and complex projects that require advanced simulations and analysis. On the other hand, AutoCAD may be more suitable for smaller projects that require precise 2D drawings and detailing. It is best to evaluate the features and capabilities of each software to determine which one is the best fit for a particular project.

3. Can Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD be used together?

Yes, Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD can be used together through interoperability features such as file import and export. This allows engineers to utilize the strengths of each software for different aspects of a project.

4. Is there a steep learning curve for using Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD?

Both Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD have a learning curve, as with any complex software. However, AutoCAD may be easier to learn for beginners as it is primarily used for 2D drafting. Pro Eng Wildfire, with its advanced features and capabilities, may require more time and effort to master.

5. Can Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD be used for different types of engineering projects?

Yes, both Pro Eng Wildfire and AutoCAD can be used for various types of engineering projects, including mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering. The choice of software may depend on the specific needs and requirements of the project, as well as the expertise of the engineer.