How Do You Calculate the Maximum Height of an Object Thrown Vertically Upward?

• Thread starter kimikims
  • Start date
In summary, an object is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 58 m/s and reaches two thirds of its maximum height. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. To find the maximum height, the equation V^2 = V_{o}^2 + 2g(2/3H) can be used, where V is the initial velocity of 58 m/s and V_{o} is the final velocity of 0 m/s. By rearranging the equation, the maximum height can be found by dividing both sides by 2g and then solving for H.
kimikims
An object is thrown vertically upward such that it has a speed of 58 m/s when it reaches two thirds of it's maximum height above the launch point.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

Find the maximum height h. Answer in units of m.

I know:

V: 58 m/s at y=2/3 H
H = ?
V = 0

V^2-Vo^2 = 2g(1/3H)

I know I need to plug in the numbers, but how do I get all of the equation to one side, to find H??

Physics news on Phys.org
kimikims said:
V^2-Vo^2 = 2g(1/3H)
Right (where Vo = 0).

I know I need to plug in the numbers, but how do I get all of the equation to one side, to find H??
Divide or multiply both sides to eliminate what's in front of H.

For example, if you had an equation: 7x^2 = 67bZ, and you wanted to isolate Z, just divide both sides by 67b: (7x^2)/67b = (67bZ)/67b = Z; so Z = (7x^2)/67b. Make sense?

You got

[tex] V^2 = V_{o}^2 + 2g\frac{2}{3}H [/tex]

where V is 58 m/s

and

[tex] 0 = V_{o}^2 + 2gH [/tex]

Last edited:
Doc Al, how come initial speed = 0 ?

Cyclovenom said:
Doc Al, how come initial speed = 0 ?
If you look at the motion on the way down, then the object starts from rest and falls a distance of H/3 to reach a speed of 58 m/s.

Doc Al said:
If you look at the motion on the way down, then the object starts from rest and falls a distance of H/3 to reach a speed of 58 m/s.

Oh Yes, i wasn't thinking about it :biggrin:

1. What is the initial velocity of an object thrown vertically?

The initial velocity of an object thrown vertically is the speed at which the object is thrown upwards. This velocity is usually represented by the symbol "v0" and is measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How does the initial velocity affect the motion of an object thrown vertically?

The initial velocity of an object thrown vertically determines the maximum height the object will reach and the time it takes to reach that height. The greater the initial velocity, the higher the object will go and the longer it will take to reach its peak height.

3. What is the acceleration of an object thrown vertically?

The acceleration of an object thrown vertically is due to the force of gravity acting on the object. On Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s2. This means that the object's velocity will increase by 9.8 m/s every second it is in the air.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object thrown vertically?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of an object thrown vertically by slowing it down. As the object travels upwards, it experiences air resistance which opposes its motion and causes it to slow down. This can result in a lower maximum height and a shorter time to reach that height.

5. What happens to the object after it reaches its maximum height?

After an object thrown vertically reaches its maximum height, it will begin to fall back towards the ground. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the object back down. The object will continue to accelerate towards the ground until it reaches the same height it was thrown from. At this point, the object's velocity will be equal to its initial velocity when it was thrown upwards.