Finding total current for series capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the total current for a circuit with capacitors in series. It is mentioned that for DC circuits, this question is meaningless and for AC circuits, the frequency must be specified. The combined capacitance of capacitors in series is the same as the individual capacitance and can be calculated to be treated as one capacitor. The formula for calculating current is V/X, where V is the peak, peak to peak, or RMS voltage of a sine wave. The conversation concludes with the realization that the reactance can be used to find the current.
jaredogden
I guess the title basically explains it. I'm reading over some circuits and can't figure out how to find total current for a circuit with capacitors in series.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For DC it's meaningless to ask the question. For AC you need to specific something about the frequency or frequencies of relevance.

The total current through series capacitors is the same as through each of them.

The combined capacitance of capacitors in series is:
fa34ce461e6988fd973081401cc9790c.png

So, if you calculate this to get the combined capacitance of the series capacitors, you can then regard the result as one capacitor.

The reactance X of a capacitor is:
331f118c5d84ff180213e4ed2a95674a.png

So, you can calculate the current from this formula:
Currrent = V / X
where V is the peak, or the peak to peak, or the RMS voltage of a sinewave. The current will then be the peak, peak to peak, or RMS value of the AC current.

Thanks Vk6kro. I actually finally figured it out I had the reactance but for some reason just wasn't thinking to use V/X I felt stupid once I realized that. Thanks again

1. What is the equation for finding the total current for series capacitors?

The equation for finding the total current for series capacitors is I = V / Z, where I is the total current, V is the applied voltage, and Z is the total impedance of the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the total impedance for series capacitors?

To calculate the total impedance for series capacitors, you need to use the formula Z = 1 / (1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn), where C1, C2, and Cn are the capacitance values of each capacitor in the series.

3. Can the total current for series capacitors be greater than the current through a single capacitor?

No, the total current for series capacitors cannot be greater than the current through a single capacitor. In series circuits, the current remains constant throughout, so the total current is equal to the current through each individual component.

4. How do you find the total current when capacitors have different capacitance values?

To find the total current when capacitors have different capacitance values, you first need to calculate the total impedance using the formula mentioned in question 2. Then, use the equation I = V / Z to find the total current, where V is the applied voltage and Z is the total impedance calculated.

5. Why is it important to calculate the total current for series capacitors?

Calculating the total current for series capacitors is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior and performance of the circuit. It also allows us to determine the voltage drop across each capacitor and ensure that the circuit is functioning properly.