Zero-Span Circuits: What & How?

• Thread starter bos1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, a zero-span circuit involves two different adjustments, with an input range of 100mV to 400mV and an output range of -10V to 10V. The goal is to design a circuit that will produce -10V output for 100mV input and +10V output for 400mV input. This may involve gain and offset adjustments, and it appears that an inverting amplifier may be necessary.
bos1234
What exactly is a zero-span circuit? How does it work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bos1234 said:
What exactly is a zero-span circuit? How does it work?

Do you mean like gain and offset adjustments in an amplifier?

What is the context of your question? Or did you just hear the term someplace and were wondering what it meant?

For example like this

Input range 100mV to 400mV and output Range is -10V to 10V. And it says design a zero-span ckt,

edit:changed input range from 40mV(mistake) to 400mV

Last edited:
I haven't heard the trem "zero-span" before, but it probably means two different adjustments.

They want 100 mV (DC) to produce -10 volts out and 40 mV (DC) to produce +10 Volts out.

So, the input signal varies by -60 mV and the output signal varies by +20 Volts so you can work out the gain (and whether the output is inverted).

Also, a DC offset would be involved.

ok. I am to design a ckt. where the inputs range from 100mV to 400mV and the output ranges from -10V to 10V. I have attached my workings and a final design of the op amp ckt. Am I on the right track?

2wp10zm.jpg

2ibdc1s.jpg

The input voltages were 100 mV and 40 mV.

I think you are using 400 mV.

I got a gain of 333.

vk6kro said:
The input voltages were 100 mV and 40 mV.

I think you are using 400 mV.

I got a gain of 333.

Sorry that should be 400mV. I have edited the post above.

Last edited:
100 mV gives -10 V out
400 mV gives +10 V out

So, should you be using an inverting amplifier?

1. What are zero-span circuits?

Zero-span circuits are a type of electronic circuit that is designed to have zero frequency deviation from the intended output frequency. This means that the circuit is very precise and does not introduce any additional frequency components into the output signal.

2. How do zero-span circuits work?

Zero-span circuits typically use a combination of analog and digital components to generate a precise output frequency. They often involve techniques such as phase-locked loops and frequency synthesis to stabilize and control the output frequency.

3. What are the advantages of using zero-span circuits?

One major advantage of zero-span circuits is their precision and stability. They are commonly used in applications where accurate frequency control is critical, such as in telecommunications, radar systems, and scientific instruments. They also have low noise and distortion, making them ideal for high-performance applications.

4. What are some common uses for zero-span circuits?

Zero-span circuits are commonly used in frequency synthesizers, which are used to generate precise frequencies for a variety of applications. They are also used in signal generators, spectrum analyzers, and other test and measurement equipment. In addition, they can be found in many consumer electronics such as radios and cell phones.

5. How are zero-span circuits different from other types of electronic circuits?

Unlike other types of circuits, zero-span circuits have very tight frequency control and do not introduce any additional frequency components into the output signal. They are also typically more complex and require more precise components and design techniques. Additionally, they are often used in specialized applications where precision and stability are crucial.