Does Gauge Size Affect Performance of Copper Cable Assemblies for Internet Use?

• Thread starter Kornnut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gauge
In summary: No difference in attenuation. The attenuation is based on the total amount of loss in the system, not just the losses from the wire. No difference in attenuation. The attenuation is based on the total amount of loss in the system, not just the losses from the wire.
Kornnut
Hello,

Two copper cables have the same Impedance and Voltage but different Gauge. Will they act differently?

Application: copper cable assemblies used for internet. Both with 100 Ohms impedance and 3.3 Volts but they have different Gauges (24, 26, 28 and 30).

Thank you in advance for your responses. =)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kornnut said:
Hello,

Two copper cables have the same Impedance and Voltage but different Gauge. Will they act differently?

Application: copper cable assemblies used for internet. Both with 100 Ohms impedance and 3.3 Volts but they have different Gauges (24, 26, 28 and 30).

Thank you in advance for your responses. =)

What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork?

What other characteristics are listed on the datasheet of Cat-5 type data grade cable? Can you see some other characteristics that might change with wire guage?

Kornnut said:
Not school work.
I'm trying to set up communication between multiple Snippet Blades in a computer rack.
I'm comparing different vendors and I was wondering if gauge had an impact when all other properties are identical.
http://www.molex.com/molex/products...EMBLIES.xml&channel=Products&langPref=english

I would think that the attenuation would be higher with the smaller wires -- do you see that listed on comparative datasheets? As long as they are holding the Zo the same, attenuation is all that I can think of at the moment...

The impedance you refer to is, I think, the 'Characteristic Impedance' (Z0) of the transmission line. If a line is terminated with a resistor equal to Z0 there will be no reflection of signals. Google it.
Z0 is a function of the dimensions of the line (ratio of inner diameter to outer diameter or ratio of conductor diameter and spacing). It isn't a resistance value of the actual wire that is used - in fact it is often assumed that there is no 'copper loss' on transmission lines.
You can have a whole range of gauges of wire for the same Z0. What you choose to use would often relate to the Power or the frequency of signal that it is needed to carry. What affects the losses in most lines is the dielectric material used as a spacer between conductors.

sophiecentaur said:
The impedance you refer to is, I think, the 'Characteristic Impedance' (Z0) of the transmission line. If a line is terminated with a resistor equal to Z0 there will be no reflection of signals. Google it.
Z0 is a function of the dimensions of the line (ratio of inner diameter to outer diameter or ratio of conductor diameter and spacing). It isn't a resistance value of the actual wire that is used - in fact it is often assumed that there is no 'copper loss' on transmission lines.
You can have a whole range of gauges of wire for the same Z0. What you choose to use would often relate to the Power or the frequency of signal that it is needed to carry. What affects the losses in most lines is the dielectric material used as a spacer between conductors.

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but there are definately losses in TLs -- I deal with them all the time. The dielectric losses are part of it, but the ohmic losses are part of it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_impedance

This probably doesn't need to be considered by the OP, but I think one would have to consider the environment. Temperature changes can effect the impedance due to mechanical expansions?

Notice the "?". The amount of influence due to temperature may be negligible.

dlgoff said:
This probably doesn't need to be considered by the OP, but I think one would have to consider the environment. Temperature changes can effect the impedance due to mechanical expansions?

Notice the "?". The amount of influence due to temperature may be negligible.

That's a good point. Temperature definitely affects the Zo. Enough so that in our twisted pair networks, we have to limit the "average" temperature of the network wiring to 55C, despite the fact that any part of the wiring can be at the extremes of the -40C to +85C Industrial temperature range. I think that variations in the dielectric with temperature dominate, but I'm having trouble finding that old information... Not sure if it would be different for the different AWGs that the OP is asking about, though.

berkeman said:
Not sure I understand what you're saying, but there are definately losses in TLs -- I deal with them all the time. The dielectric losses are part of it, but the ohmic losses are part of it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_impedance

True but I was firstly pointing out that the "100 Ohms" isn't 100 Ohms of series or shunt resistance, which is what the OP seemed to be suggesting. Also, in examples like UHF feeder, it is largely the dielectric that accounts for the loss. The 'low loss' feeder you can buy looks little different in construction from the bog standard apart from the foam or spiral dielectric.
If you want to run 100m of feeder from a transmitter to an antenna then, of course, the odd few dBs from Ohmic loss is highly relevant.

It's pretty simple really.

As noted by others the line impedance is standard for cat5 which I believe we are talking about.

However the line resistance and current capacity per metre is not. This is important when using POE, particularly over long runs, where you will lose power to resistive attenuation.

I am not familiar with american gauge so you will have to look this up or perhaps others might help here?

Kornnut said:
Not school work.
I'm trying to set up communication between multiple Snippet Blades in a computer rack.
I'm comparing different vendors and I was wondering if gauge had an impact when all other properties are identical.
http://www.molex.com/molex/products...EMBLIES.xml&channel=Products&langPref=english

So I'm thinking now that the answer to the OP is "no difference" for his application. Short runs within a single rack of equipment, so the distance effects like loss won't really come into play.

There may also be mechanical reliability problems if you insert the wrong gauge wire into a punchdown termination, designed for a particular gauge.

1. What is impedance and how does it relate to voltage and gauge?

Impedance is the measure of opposition to an electric current within a circuit. It is often represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms. Voltage, on the other hand, is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. Gauge refers to the thickness or diameter of a wire, which affects its resistance and therefore its impedance. In general, as the gauge of a wire decreases, its impedance increases, and vice versa.

2. How does impedance affect the performance of a circuit?

The impedance of a circuit plays a crucial role in determining its performance. In a circuit with high impedance, the flow of current is impeded, leading to a decrease in voltage and potential energy. This can result in a decrease in the overall efficiency and functionality of the circuit. On the other hand, a circuit with low impedance allows for a higher flow of current, resulting in a more efficient and powerful circuit.

3. How does wire gauge affect the impedance of a circuit?

The gauge of a wire directly affects its resistance, which in turn affects its impedance. As the gauge of a wire decreases, the resistance decreases, resulting in a lower impedance. This is because thicker wires have more electrons available to carry the current, whereas thinner wires have fewer electrons and therefore a higher resistance and impedance.

4. How can I determine the appropriate wire gauge for my circuit?

The appropriate wire gauge for a circuit depends on several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the circuit, the length of the wire, and the desired level of impedance. A general rule of thumb is to use thicker wires for high-current applications and longer wire lengths, and thinner wires for low-current applications and shorter wire lengths. It is also important to consider the wire's insulation and the material it is made of, as these can also impact its impedance.

5. How does frequency affect the impedance of a circuit?

The frequency of a circuit can also impact its impedance. In general, the higher the frequency, the higher the impedance. This is because at higher frequencies, the wire's resistance becomes more significant, resulting in a higher overall impedance. This is particularly important in high-frequency applications, such as in telecommunications and radio technology, where impedance matching is essential for optimal performance.