Cryogenic Op Amp: Experiences & Solutions

• Thread starter OxDEADBEEF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Op amp
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of amplifiers in cryostats, specifically in a high magnetic field environment with low thermal radiation. The individual is looking for recommendations on parts that have worked for others, particularly in terms of amplifying frequencies between 0.1 Hz and 50kHz. They also mention using a Wheatstone bridge and considering a JFET as an adjustable reference resistor.
OxDEADBEEF
Hi there,

does anyone have experience with amplifiers in cryostats? I would like to have one close to the sample inside the cryostat. The problem is that there will be at least 4T of field with large gradients and I guess that I have to insulate it. The sample is at 15Kelvin but I am thinking of running the amplifier around 100Kelvin to keep thermal radiation low, but silicon should still work. I would like to amplify frequencies between 0.1 Hz and maybe 50kHz but I can compromise somewhat on the bandwidth. HEMTs have terrible 1/f noise I was told. Did anyone ever attempt something like this, who can point me to parts that have worked for him?

Oh yeah and I need to use a Wheatstone bridge. I was thinking about a JFET as an adjustable reference resistor any thoughts on that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily...

1. What is a cryogenic op amp?

A cryogenic op amp is a type of operational amplifier that is designed to operate at extremely low temperatures, typically below -100 degrees Celsius. This allows for precise and stable operation in cryogenic environments, such as those used in scientific research and space exploration.

2. What are the main challenges with using cryogenic op amps?

The main challenges with cryogenic op amps include maintaining stability and accuracy at such low temperatures, as well as managing thermal effects and noise. Specialized design and testing techniques are often required to overcome these challenges.

3. What are some common applications for cryogenic op amps?

Cryogenic op amps are commonly used in scientific experiments and research, such as in particle accelerators and quantum computing systems. They are also used in space exploration missions and in the development of superconducting devices.

4. How do you choose the right cryogenic op amp for a specific application?

The choice of cryogenic op amp depends on several factors, including the required temperature range, input and output voltage ranges, and noise and stability requirements. It is important to carefully consider these specifications and select an op amp that meets the specific needs of the application.

5. What are some potential solutions to common issues with cryogenic op amps?

Some potential solutions to common issues with cryogenic op amps include using specialized compensation techniques to maintain stability, implementing shielding and filtering to reduce noise, and carefully managing thermal effects through proper layout and heat sinking. Consulting with experienced engineers and utilizing advanced simulation and testing tools can also help to identify and address potential issues.