Question about getting started with electronics

• Thread starter Bob Busby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, for someone looking to get started in the world of electronics, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of electronics theory, knowledge of soldering, and experience with programming microcontrollers. Textbooks can be helpful for learning theory, but online resources such as SparkFun offer tutorials and kits for hands-on learning.
Bob Busby
Hello, I'm just a poor little boy who is mystified about getting a start in the wonderful world of electronics. Do any of you have suggestions for books, tutorials, starter kits, etc. that you think are particularly effective in teaching fundamentals and setting you on the path to becoming a pro? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For one to be a proper electronics guy at a hobbyist level, I would suggest three important skills:
1. Basic electronics theory knowledge. A basic circuits textbook would suffice for that.
2. Knowing how to solder http://www.sparkfun.com/ has lots of primers on that and kits.
3. Knowing how to program a microcontroller http://www.sparkfun.com/ would be a good place for that too

Thanks! I have taken physics 2 so I know theory and basic electronic components but what about learning to build circuits? Textbooks tend to be overly wordy and geared towards people with experience already.

1. How do I begin learning about electronics?

The first step to getting started with electronics is to acquire a basic understanding of electricity and circuits. This can be achieved through reading books, taking online courses, or attending workshops. It is also helpful to get hands-on experience by practicing building simple circuits.

2. What tools and equipment do I need to get started with electronics?

Some essential tools and equipment for electronics include a breadboard, jumper wires, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, a multimeter, and a soldering iron. You may also need a power supply and a microcontroller or Arduino board, depending on your projects.

3. How can I find resources and projects to help me learn electronics?

There are many online resources available for learning electronics, such as tutorials, forums, and project ideas. You can also join a local makerspace or electronics club to connect with others who share your interest and learn from their experiences.

4. Do I need to have a background in math or science to learn electronics?

While a basic understanding of math and science is helpful in understanding the principles of electronics, it is not necessary to have a background in these subjects to get started. With practice and determination, anyone can learn electronics.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with my electronic projects?

When encountering issues with your electronic projects, it is important to have a systematic approach to troubleshooting. This may include checking connections, testing components, and consulting resources such as online forums or books. Practice and experience are also key in developing troubleshooting skills.