Pipe cutter is fixed on a pipe, with 3 forces acting on the pipe.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pipe cutter clamped on a pipe, with three forces acting on the pipe that must be identified. The pipe is in a state of equilibrium and the question involves finding the three forces and their angles. The first question is deemed unnecessary, and the second question requires using the tangent line to the circle. The conversation also mentions using the lengths given to find the angle in the diagram. The use of F=ma is also addressed, with the statement that it cannot be used in this diagram due to the absence of acceleration. The conversation concludes with expressions of gratitude for the help provided.
BaLTHEBEAST
The figure shows a pipe cutter clamped on a pipe. 3 Forces are acting on the pipe. These forces must be identified. These forces have different directions. The pipe is estimated to be in an equlibrium state of force , so it does not break the pipe, instead it holds the pipe tightly.

I will attach 2 pictures with the questions below. Please check and help me find a way to solve these questions.
I just need a hint or a way to start the calculation, and to find the 3 forces and the angles of the forces as well.

The question did not provide any extra informations, so please help me. This is a hard question.. :cry:

You have my advanced gratitude. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 710
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that F = ma is premature for this problem. No statement of the requirements for equilibrium has been provided by the original poster for the forces exerted by the pipe cutter on the pipe. Without knowing the equilibrium relationship, then the second part of the question cannot be done.

SteamKing said:
I think that F = ma is premature for this problem.
Perhaps, but I am just trying to get the OP to start thinking about what is going on.
No statement of the requirements for equilibrium has been provided by the original poster for the forces exerted by the pipe cutter on the pipe.
The problem statement says "The pipe is estimated to be in an equlibrium state of force", which is a statement about the acceleration or sum of the forces.

Without knowing the equilibrium relationship, then the second part of the question cannot be done.
Yes it can. The equilibrium relationship is a simple statement about the vector sum of the forces. But first let's let the OP respond with some attempt at solving the problem. The OP has already been given advice on solving https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=492657", which would work here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first question needs explanation, ignore it. I am done with question one...

The second question requires a tangent line to the circle.. tan θ = Opposite/Adjacent..
I figured it out.
We have to use the lengths given. For example to get an angle in the diagram, We have to form a triangle in the circle given, Therefore, it will be tan θ = 10/17 ... According to the information given :D

And no, F=ma cannot be used in this diagram, it doesn't say there is acceleration.

Anyways I appreciate your help! THANK YOU!

wat is the explanation of 1st question ?

are you from psdc? :) I am batch 20 group 3. you:)

glavinlee said:
wat is the explanation of 1st question ?
As it says in the problem statement:
"The pipe is estimated to be in an equlibrium state..."​
Think about what that means, then post your attempt (does not necessarily have to be complete and correct) at solving the problem.

BaLTHEBEAST said:
The first question needs explanation, ignore it. I am done with question one...

The second question requires a tangent line to the circle.. tan θ = Opposite/Adjacent..
I figured it out.
We have to use the lengths given. For example to get an angle in the diagram, We have to form a triangle in the circle given, Therefore, it will be tan θ = 10/17 ... According to the information given :D

And no, F=ma cannot be used in this diagram, it doesn't say there is acceleration.

Anyways I appreciate your help! THANK YOU!

tan θ = 10/17 that is what sin would be in that triangle, tan would be 10/13.7477

What is a pipe cutter and how is it fixed on a pipe?

A pipe cutter is a tool used to cut pipes to a desired length or shape. It is typically fixed on a pipe by clamping or attaching it to the pipe using screws or other fasteners.

What are the 3 forces that act on the pipe when using a pipe cutter?

The 3 forces that act on the pipe when using a pipe cutter are the cutting force, the gripping force, and the reaction force. The cutting force is applied by the blade of the pipe cutter, the gripping force is applied by the clamping mechanism, and the reaction force is applied by the pipe itself.

How do the forces affect the pipe when using a pipe cutter?

The cutting force causes the pipe to be cut, while the gripping force holds the pipe in place to prevent it from moving. The reaction force helps to stabilize the pipe and prevent it from bending or breaking under the cutting force.

What happens if the forces are not balanced when using a pipe cutter?

If the forces are not balanced, the pipe may become unstable and move or bend while being cut. This can result in an uneven or inaccurate cut, or even damage to the pipe or the pipe cutter itself.

How can the forces be balanced when using a pipe cutter?

To balance the forces, it is important to ensure that the pipe cutter is securely fixed on the pipe and that the cutting, gripping, and reaction forces are evenly distributed. This can be achieved by using a properly sized and adjusted pipe cutter and following the manufacturer's instructions.