Can Real Coefficients Affect the Roots of a Polynomial?

In summary, the problem states that for a polynomial with real coefficients in the range of [0,1], if a root z_0 exists, it must satisfy the conditions Re(z_0) < 0 or |z_0| < \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}. To solve this problem, a contradiction is sought by assuming that a root z_0 with Re(z_0) \geq 0 and |z_0| \geq \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} exists. By using the given conditions on the coefficients and the fact that z_0 is a root of the polynomial, a contradiction can be derived. Suggestions for approaching the problem include writing
dbr

Homework Statement

Let [itex]z^n + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}a_kz^k[/itex] be a polynomial with real coefficients [itex]a_k\in[0,1][/itex]. If [itex]z_0[/itex] is a root, prove that [itex]Re(z_0) < 0[/itex] or [itex]|z_0| < \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to solve this problem by contradiction (i.e. assuming there is a root [itex]z_0[/itex] with [itex]Re(z_0) \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]|z_0| \geq \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]). I then tried to look for a contradiction in the equations [itex]Re(z_0^n + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}a_kz_0^k) = 0[/itex] and [itex]Im(z_0^n + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}a_kz_0^k) = 0[/itex]. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find any contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone provide some guidance on how to approach this problem?

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, instead of looking for a contradiction in the equations Re(z_0^n + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}a_kz_0^k) = 0 and Im(z_0^n + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}a_kz_0^k) = 0, try to use the fact that z_0 is a root of the polynomial and the given conditions on the coefficients to derive a contradiction.

Here are some steps that may help you:

1. Write the given polynomial in the form z^n + a_{n-1}z^{n-1} + ... + a_1z + a_0.

2. Use the fact that z_0 is a root of the polynomial to write an equation involving z_0 and the coefficients a_k.

3. Use the given conditions on the coefficients to derive a contradiction. For example, you can use the fact that a_k \in [0,1] to show that the magnitude of z_0 must be less than a certain value.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarification or assistance. Good luck with your problem!

Scientist

1. What are the roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equation equal to zero.

2. How do you find the roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial can be found by factoring the polynomial equation or by using numerical methods such as the quadratic formula or the Newton-Raphson method.

3. Can a polynomial have multiple roots?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple roots. The number of roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial, and some roots may be repeated.

4. What do the roots of a polynomial represent?

The roots of a polynomial represent the x-intercepts or solutions to the polynomial equation. They also indicate the points where the graph of the polynomial crosses the x-axis.

5. How are the roots of a polynomial related to its factors?

The roots of a polynomial are related to its factors through the fundamental theorem of algebra. This theorem states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots, and these roots are the factors of the polynomial.