Boosting four-acceleration

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
In summary, the four-acceleration vector reduces to (0,a) in an instantaneous co-moving inertial frame. However, applying a Lorentz transformation to this vector does not produce the general form due to the changing speed of the co-moving frame. The simple form (0,a) is only valid for a small lapse of time. To obtain the general expression, one must use the full expression for the acceleration at any time in the once-co-moving frame and apply the Lorentz transformation. The general expression is Lorentz invariant, but it cannot be obtained from the special result of (0,a). Although most people refer to the Lorentz transformation as a rotation, it can also be graphed as a rotation on the
snoopies622
In an instantaneous co-moving inertial frame, the four-acceleration vector reduces to (0,a).

Why then does applying a Lorentz transformation to the above vector not produce the general form?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because the co-moving frame has a changing speed,
and because a general result cannot be obtained from a special result.
The simple form (0,a) is valid only for a small lapse of time.

Using the full expression for the acceleration at any time in the once-co-moving frame,
would allow you to derive the expression in any other frame.
The general expression is Lorentz invariant.

lalbatros said:
...a general result cannot be obtained from a special result.
Yes, that makes sense to me. The problem I'm having is one of imagination. I have always pictured the Lorentz transformation as a kind of rotation. So I imagine a (0,a) vector being rotated from one position to another, and a one-to-one correspondence between a vector in the v=0 frame and the set of the same vector in all the other frames.

I know it works for four-momentum. That is, if one starts with the specific v=0 case [itex] m_0 (c,0) [/itex] and Lorentz transforms it, it turns into the general case
[tex] \gamma m_0 (c,\bf {v}) [/tex]

I will give it more thought.

snoopies622 said:
I have always pictured the Lorentz transformation as a kind of rotation.

Are you able to explain that? Most people seem to picture & refer to it as a rotation, but I can't envision it.

Well, if you graph xi ([itex] i^2 = -1 [/itex]) on the horizontal axis versus ct on the vertical, then it's a rotation, and the angle is the rapidity. I suspect that some find that idea objectionable - it's misleading in some ways - but I still like it.

Correction: the angle is rapidity times i. Pretty weird, yes.

Last edited:

1. What is four-acceleration?

Four-acceleration is a concept in special relativity that describes the rate of change of four-velocity with respect to proper time. It is a four-dimensional vector that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of acceleration in the context of a four-dimensional spacetime.

2. How is four-acceleration boosted?

To boost four-acceleration, we use the Lorentz transformation equations from special relativity. These equations allow us to convert the four-acceleration vector from one reference frame to another moving at a constant velocity relative to the original frame.

3. What is the significance of four-acceleration in physics?

Four-acceleration is a fundamental concept in special relativity and has important implications in many areas of physics, including particle physics and cosmology. It helps us understand how objects move and interact in a four-dimensional spacetime and allows us to make accurate predictions about their behavior.

4. How is four-acceleration different from three-acceleration?

Four-acceleration takes into account the temporal component of acceleration, while three-acceleration only considers the three spatial dimensions. This is because four-velocity, which four-acceleration is derived from, is a four-dimensional vector that includes the time component. In special relativity, the temporal and spatial components are intertwined, so it is necessary to consider all four dimensions when describing acceleration.

5. Can four-acceleration be negative?

Yes, four-acceleration can be negative. Just like three-dimensional acceleration can be negative if an object is decelerating, four-acceleration can also be negative if an object is undergoing negative acceleration in the time component. In this case, the object would be accelerating backwards in time, which is not physically possible, but it is a mathematical concept that helps us understand the behavior of objects in spacetime.