Will the atmosphere run out of CO2?

In summary, the public broadcast channel professor described the possible ends of the Earth, one of which had to do with the lack of CO2 in the atmosphere killing off all plant life. There is no reason I can think of why the Earth would run out of CO2, but based on the current discussion around global warming, it seems like it's a possibility.
dav2008
Gold Member
I watched a program on some public broadcast channel where a professor from a university detailed the possible ends of the earth.

One of them (from what I recall) had to do with lowering CO2 levels in the distant future. The lack of CO2 would eventually kill off all plant life.

I tried searching the internet for a more detailed explanation but I couldn't find much as most searches turned up global warming pages. Does anybody know about the fate of Earth's atmosphere?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Based on the discussion of global warming these days, it would seem that there is an abundance of CO2.

What is the argument for the loss of CO2?

That's what I'm wondering: what is the reason behind it?

Obviously in the short term CO2 levels are rising, however I am talking tens or hundreds of millions of years into the future.

dav2008 said:
That's what I'm wondering: what is the reason behind it?

Obviously in the short term CO2 levels are rising, however I am talking tens or hundreds of millions of years into the future.
Well didn't the program say why? Its a little hard for us to read the minds of the guys who wrote the show...

In any case, there is no reason I can think of why the Earth would run out of CO2.

Yes there have been theories about that. My guess is that all the carbon would eventually would disappear into the Earth crust either as fossil remains of life (peat - coal) or as limestone due to chemical rock weathering.

Some of that carbon returns as magma heats up limestone and decomposes it into CaO and CO2 emitted by volcanoes but that's only a small part.

The only possiblitly to recycle the fossile carbon is human activity: mining and oil drilling.

So in the end those horrible oil companies are saving the world from becoming a barren lifeless desert.

Don't Mars and Venus have plenty of CO2?

Gonzolo said:
Don't Mars and Venus have plenty of CO2?

Yes, the atmospheres of Venus & Mars are mostly comprised of CO2 (over 90% for both I think). Venus' atmosphere is incredibly thick whereas Mars' is very thin.

russ_watters said:
Well didn't the program say why? Its a little hard for us to read the minds of the guys who wrote the show...

In any case, there is no reason I can think of why the Earth would run out of CO2.
The reason I'm posting here is because I don't remember why.

I thought it might be a common scenario that people know about. I'll see if I can catch the show again. I think they replay it once in a while.

1. What is the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere?

The current level of CO2 in the atmosphere is approximately 415 parts per million (ppm), which is the highest it has been in the past 800,000 years.

2. Will the atmosphere eventually run out of CO2?

No, it is highly unlikely that the atmosphere will run out of CO2. While human activities can contribute to changes in CO2 levels, there are also natural processes that regulate and maintain a balance of gases in the atmosphere.

3. How does CO2 affect the Earth's climate?

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, meaning it traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere. As the levels of CO2 increase, more heat is trapped, leading to an increase in global temperatures and changes in climate patterns.

4. What are the potential consequences of running out of CO2 in the atmosphere?

If the atmosphere were to run out of CO2, it would have serious impacts on Earth's ecosystems and climate. Plants, which rely on CO2 for photosynthesis, would struggle to survive, leading to disruptions in the food chain. Additionally, the lack of CO2 in the atmosphere would make it difficult for the Earth to retain heat, potentially causing a global cooling effect.

5. How can we prevent the atmosphere from running out of CO2?

While it is not a concern that the atmosphere will run out of CO2, it is important to reduce our emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases to prevent further negative impacts on the Earth's climate. This can be achieved through reducing our use of fossil fuels, increasing the use of renewable energy sources, and implementing sustainable practices in various industries.