Help with Identifying Image: 3K7P0W0

• Thread starter awesomedud
  • Start date
In summary: It doesn't transfer energy as well, and the oscillations slow down more quickly. It's more like a ball bearing with balls that are rolling.It looks like a part of a huge ring shaped ball-bearing. Adjustable wind turbine blades have bearings with balls of about this size.
awesomedud
i have no idea what's the point of this if u help me i would relay be thank full

http://imgit.me/i/3K7P0W0.jpeg

Attachments

• ad.jpeg
    ad.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
I have never seen one like that but it looks, to me, like a click click click toy, rather like a Newton's Cradle (balls suspended on strings from a frame). You pull one ball up the slope on one side and release it. Because the balls have identical masses, when it hits the other ball, it stops dead and the other one goes off with the same velocity - because the Momentum is transferred from one to the other. There is more friction with this toy than with the Newton's cradle so the movement will die out a bit quicker but it should carry on for a dozen collisions or more before it stops. You need the slot to be clean (polished) for best results and the whole thing should be level, I should think.

thanks man i appreciate it ur cool

tho surprisingly when i do what u said the balls stick together and move as one until they stop

sophiecentaur said:
I have never seen one like that but it looks, to me, like a click click click toy, rather like a Newton's Cradle (balls suspended on strings from a frame). You pull one ball up the slope on one side and release it. Because the balls have identical masses, when it hits the other ball, it stops dead and the other one goes off with the same velocity - because the Momentum is transferred from one to the other.
Unlike in Newton's Cradle these balls are rolling. They have significant angular momentum too, which not transferred fully on collision (and if it was, it would have the wrong direction to make the other ball roll).

It looks like a part of a huge ring shaped ball-bearing. Adjustable wind turbine blades have bearings with balls of about this size.

A.T. said:
Unlike in Newton's Cradle these balls are rolling. They have significant angular momentum too, which not transferred fully on collision (and if it was, it would have the wrong direction to make the other ball roll).

It looks like a part of a huge ring shaped ball-bearing. Adjustable wind turbine blades have bearings with balls of about this size.

That track looks like polished wood to me, though.
But yes, the issue with angular momentum would be yet another mechanism for energy loss and slow the oscillations down quicker, though. It would not be hard for someone with the time and inclination to work out the proportion of linear vs angular momentum - which could suggest some ballpark figures for including the rolling. The degree of friction between balls and ball-on-track would affect the details a bit though.
It's definitely not as 'ideal' as Newton's cradle.

1. What is the purpose of identifying an image?

Identifying an image helps to provide context and understanding of the content within the image. It can also help to determine the source and credibility of the image.

2. How do you identify an image?

Image identification can be done through various methods, such as reverse image search, visual recognition software, or manual analysis of the elements within the image.

3. What type of information can be determined through image identification?

Image identification can provide information about the subject matter, location, time period, and potential sources of the image.

4. What are the limitations of image identification?

Image identification can be limited by the quality and clarity of the image, as well as the availability and accuracy of the tools and methods being used.

5. How can image identification be useful in scientific research?

Image identification can be useful in scientific research by providing visual evidence to support findings and helping to identify potential sources of images used in research. It can also assist in verifying the accuracy of data and results.